Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VIA CPU to AGP Controller

• Please log in to reply

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Listen, I hate to be a pain, but you haven't told me where to install the chipset to. It does not ask me anything, it just opens the cd files. I still don't know where you want me to install it to.

Advertisements

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
As much as I hate to, I have to leave. I won't be back for a couple of hrs. If your not here, maybe we can hook up tomorrow.

Thank you again for your help. I will keep trying to 'install' this, but I don't really know where I'm installing it to. As for it automatically installing, it doesn't. Or at least hasn't so far.

Thanks again.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Update:

As I was closing everything, the found new hardware wizard come up and said it found new hardware.

I let it do it's thing and now I no longer have any yello question marks, but I still have the yellow mark beside the PCI to PCI bridge.

Also, I now have a red X next to my 'Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32 or Compatible (WDM)

So I guess that is progress??? Fixed one and lost another.

I'll be back later as stated. Also, thank you again for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a add on card installed for sound? This may be what the Red X mark is for.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Update:

I'm not sure if I have an add on card or not. I have what came with it. I bought it used from a guy who builds them.

I thought it was fixed, but when I turned the computer back on this evening, up came the via again. I was looking in the c:\windows\motherboard directory and there was a folder named service. I clicked on that and saw a folder named via something or other. I clicked on that and it went through it's thing and then asked me if I wanted to restart and I said yes. This time when it started, it came up with something about ATI technologies and then that disapered and I went to device manager and nothing yellow was showing.

The red X is still there and that was never there before I mentioned it to you earlier.

So now what do you suggest? As I said, I don't know if I have a seperate sound card or not. How would I find out?

BTW, I do have sound. I only have a headset, but I have sound through those.

Edited by woodworks, 07 May 2009 - 03:37 PM.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Another Update:

Well in device manager it has a yellow mark under the display adaptors that says...

ATI Technologies, Inc. 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X

So much for this thing wanting to cooperate.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Another Update:

Well now the USB ports don't want to work. I plugged in a flash card and it won't recognize it. I tried to plug in my web cam and it won't recognize that either. I don't mind the camera, but I would like everything else to work. At least my mouse and printer are still working through the USB ports.

Any idea why this is giving me problems like this???

Again, thanks for the help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With all these problems I'm beginning to believe you may have an infection. It might be worth a trip to the Malware forum and have them go through your system just to make sure. If they find you clean then we can continue here.

Please go to the "Malware Forum" link in my signature below and follow the instructions at the top
Especially the "You Must Read This Before Posting A HijackThis Log".

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself.
If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty start a topic and post the requested logs in THAT Forum.
Once the malware technicians have cleared out any infection and given you a clean bill of health, and if the problem continues then feel free to post back here and we can investigate the problem even more.

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
I've been through that several, several times. I can pretty much do that on my own. I can't and won't say I'm not invected, but I have my doubts. No matter, I'll still go through it just for the reason you state. Al least that will clear that possibility up. Better safe then sorry.

Thanks again and I'll let you know what happened after all of that.