Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook-Password Trouble (and other stuff)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

WordWoman

WordWoman

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello GeekPeople!

*I'd LIKE you to read my intro, but if you only want to know what I need help with, skip down to the asterisk. Thanks tons!

I, too, would likely be considered a "geek," but of another shade than most of you, I believe. I am a "WordGeek." So, joining G2G is to me what going to a poetry reading or taking a three-month semester to study a short story, literary theory, or a play by Shakespeare might be to (most of) you. I thank you in advance for the warm welcome I believe you will all extend to me. The following is copied from the reply I wrote to Kat when I received the auto-generated "Welcome" letter, but it applies to all the rest of you, as well.

Hopefully, if I can find the time, my contribution to the site will be to offer SOME of my editing/proofreading expertise to other members (for their posts [ha! as if anyone cares if there's a spelling error in them...lol], for their websites [oh, yeah...there are LOTS of English errors on folks' personal and/or business sites], or wherever the English language may be used [uh...like everywhere???? lol]).

I have a philosophy that nearly all people are naturally EITHER word people or number people. Meaning that -- for example -- the "word people" love to read, write, talk, listen, etc. They almost always catch mistakes in spelling, grammar, syntax, and many other "word-geek" types of writing and/or editorial mistakes; however, don't expect much of anything from them if the request or need has ANYTHING whatsoever to do with numbers, including all sorts of other endeavors which require logical "color-in-the-lines" thinking. On the other hand, the "number-geeks" (in my humble opinion) can eventually figure out almost any problem that requires linear thinking including anything mathematical, mechanical, electronic, etc -- AND computer-related issues which (again, in my humble opinion) are basically complicated math problems; however, these "number" people are usually not so great with words, whether it be writing, spelling, listening, speaking, EDITING. Keep in mind that I fully realize the grossly exaggerated generality of this philosophy...lol...! Nevertheless -- I do find it compelling and more often than not, quite accurate.

I am a writer by inclination, by training (B.A. Engish/Creative Writing) and by experience. I do have SOME ability for logic, however slight, in that I worked as a paralegal for about 25 years and much of that had to do with not simply coloring "in-the-lines" type of thinking and problem-solving/solution chasing, but also "between-the-lines" type of thinking. Often, in much of the legal work/research/writing I did, it was more of a "CREATE-the-line" activity.

Just PLEASE don't ask me to solve a quadratic equation. I can do it, but not only would it take a long time, I would not like it and would probably stick my tongue out at you for even asking. LOL.

So -- (shhhh...I can HEAR your "number-brain" saying, "Get to the point, woman!" lol) bottom line: since I often have computer or application-related questions/problems that I need help with, and will likely start here to find some answers, it's only right that I play fair and offer SOME of my time to other members. Those "number-people" just might need a bit of "word" help from time-to-time. (Uh...perhaps starting with a spell/grammar check of the "Terms of Use" agreement for geekstogo.com??? lol)

Again, thanks in advance for allowing me to participate in my OWN geeky way. I look forward to "meeting" you.

WordWoman

*PS. What brought me to this site in the first place was trying to figure out how to recover my stupid Outlook password. A couple of weeks ago I was trying to password protect just ONE file -- one of my "Contacts" -- and ever since then, even though I know (and use) exactly what password I TRIED to secure it with I can still open the contact WITHOUT the password, but cannot RECEIVE ANY mail unless I enter the "network password" that the stupid pop-up keeps requesting, which -- of course -- the program refuses to accept resulting in the following: not only is my Contact NOT password protected, but now I cannot receive any mail. Ugh. Man, life just keeps getting more and more amusingly ironic. I've gone everywhere and tried everything that I've been able to find (short of totally removing the program-- and thus, all my emails I want to keep as well as all of my contacts--and re-installing it from scratch). So, if any of you have been patient enough to read all the way through this post, perhaps you may be patient and kind enough to attempt to aid me in getting rid of the blankety-blank pop-up and actually be able to get my mail. In the meantime, I've set up an alternate email. Answer my post and I'll give it to you. SINCE FIRST POSTING THIS, REC'D REPLY FROM DSENETTE (THANKS, D) AS YOU CAN SEE. MADE ME SIGH VERY DEEPLY. NOW LOOKING AT SOFTWARE THAT SEARCHES FOR THE PASSWORD (SUCH AS DISK INVESTIGATOR, ETC.). QUESTIONS: 1) DOES THIS SOFTWARE TYPE WORK? 2) CAN IT BE (AS I SUSPECT) DANGEROUS TO MY COMPUTER'S HEALTH, OR WORSE--TO MY PRIVACY (i.e. the stuff stored in my drives)? THANKS. (I'M GOING TO TRY TO POST THIS IN OTHER FORUMS, AS WELL, TO GET MORE EXPOSURE; HOPE THAT'S OKAY)

PSS. If you'd like to see SOME of my less formal writing, you can take a look at http:\\mjones\writing.com. [http://mjones.Writing.Com/]

PSSS. If you find any spelling or grammar errors in my post, PLEASE don't tell me. I'm feeling very vulnerable at the moment and it might just send me over the proverbial edge. Capice?

:)

Advertisements

Excal

Excal

Malware Slayer Extraordinaire!

• Retired Staff
  • 12,739 posts
being helped here:

http://www.geekstogo...lp-t238198.html

:)

Excal