Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden mouse/driver/bsod problems

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Thanks Broni and edge. I'm having my friend burn me a copy of XP, memtest and the hard drive diagnostic.

A question on XP though. I think I was using Windows XP pro, but if I try to use one of those other versions (like windows xp black pro edition, windows xp corporate edition, etc) will I still be able to repair my XP from it, or will I have to fresh install? If I do fresh install XP, will I be able to retain my files? I'm pretty sure my friend is giving me windows xp pro SP3, but I just want to make sure.

I really appreciate the help guys. Most of my friends know even less about PCs than me so it really helps.

??????????????? :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Thanks Ron. I didn't get any email notifications about previous replies.

if I try to use one of those other versions (like windows xp black pro edition, windows xp corporate edition, etc)

This is against board rules to discuss any illegal activities.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :) :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Sorry about that. Never knew what Black Edition was. :) Like stated before, we will not provide assistance with illegal products. :)

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry, I didn't know it was illegal either. I thought it would be ok since I own the retail copy of XP, but I guess it's different. Anyways, my friend is burning me a copy of the same retail XP pro as the one I own, along with memtest and hard drive diagnostics. I will be using them tomorrow, wish me luck!

Edited by hirow, 11 May 2009 - 01:29 AM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Do the diagnostics first and then post back the results.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Wow, this is depressing. I ran the diagnostics, and it passed the short and long tests. I then ran memtest, and there were no problems with the memory either. When I popped in the XP disc, it started reading it but it blue screened even BEFORE the part where it asks you to push ENTER to start XP install or "r" to repair. The error was the same as before, BAD_POOL_CALLER. Maybe the problem is in my other hardware? I was thinking of buying a new hard drive as a LAST RESORT but I don't even know if that will work now.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I can't think of any other hardware that might be causing this problem, but also allowing the computer to normally boot up. But I am not that knowledgeable on the subject so someone else might come up with something else.

This is the time I try a reformat and reinstall. Try recovering your data with Ubuntu. Click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig to try and get your files back. If we do a reformat and reinstallation of Windows, and the problem continues to happen, then the OS is not related to your problem.

What is the make and model of your computer. We may be able to restore Windows to factory settings using a recovery partition on your hard drive.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
It's a custom computer. I don't think I partitioned the drives either.

Do you think if I install windows on a new drive and keep the current one as a slave drive, I can transfer the files to the new one?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Do you think if I install windows on a new drive and keep the current one as a slave drive, I can transfer the files to the new one?

Yes you can. Just hook up the other drive, that you will install Windows on, as the Master.

EDIT: Maybe you won't be able to. But since it passed the long diagnostic I am pretty sure that it will work.

Edited by edge2022, 12 May 2009 - 06:35 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What are you going to install Windows with? I thought you had no disk and that was why a friend was burning you a copy?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Right...
We can't assist you if your friend is burning a pirated copy.
Get a legal Windows CD.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have a legal purchased copy like I mentioned many times, but it's too scratched up to read the disk. My friend is burning a copy of HIS windows CD, since I can't get into windows to use my CD burner. I'm pretty sure the legal way to burn CDs is if you own the actual retail copy, which I do.

I don't think the scratched up CD was the problem though, because it BSOD'd on the new disk too. I'm going to try to clean my old disk and use that one.

I guess my only options now are to reformat or get a new hard drive?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Reformatting the hard drive would be the best way to go for now. It would help us determine if this is a hardware or software problem.

Do you have all the files you want to keep backed up? If not, then click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig and follow the directions. Once you are ready to reformat, let us know.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Alright, I'll try that, thanks. It'll probably take a few days but I'll post back the results.