Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sudden mouse/driver/bsod problems

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good. I will be awaiting your next post.

Advertisements

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Alright, I booted my PC off of Ubuntu so it's probably not the hard drive. It should be resolved if I reformat.

HOWEVER, I don't have a medium of backing up my files except for my laptop, since I need to transfer about 100GB of data. I thought it would be a simple matter of drag and drop, but I'm having trouble getting my vista laptop to recognize the PC running Ubuntu. I have a crossover cable, but have no idea what I'm doing. I did some research but there are people saying you should use openssh with a crossover cable, but I don't even know how to install it on ubuntu. If you're familiar with Ubuntu, is there a step-by-step guide for a complete beginner to transfer files to a laptop?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I am sort of familiar with Ubuntu, but I have never used a cross over cable to transfer files. You could try using DVDs to backup your files, but that would be a waste. I suggest you invest in an external drive. It has many uses, such as for storing image backups in case something like this happens. I recommend picking up around a 500GB drive or 750GB. Any brand will do but I prefer Seagate, Western Digital, or Maxtor.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Alright, I borrowed an external drive from my friend, and backed everything up. I popped in XP to reformat, then realized something. I blue screen before the option to reformat...

How should I reformat if the computer errors before I get the option to? I can't even get to the recovery console, or the "Windows XP professional setup" screen. It'll say it's booting from CD, read the contents, and when it's ready to switch to the set up screen, it'll BSOD with the before mentioned message.

Edited by hirow, 16 May 2009 - 02:16 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'd probably have the laptop professionally checked, especially motherboard.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

I'd probably have the laptop professionally checked, especially motherboard.

Good suggestion.

We can try some things before we have your laptop checked. In Ubuntu, go to GParted. The instructions are in the tutorial that you used earlier. Then, in GParted, format your drive. I don't know the exact instructions to format a drive in GParted, but it's easy enough to figure out on your own.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Great news, everything is ok now. Thanks for the advice edge, I was able to use gparted to wipe my drive and install XP. I put everything I backed up into my new HDD, though I'm missing some installers so I couldn't use all of my programs. Guess I have to reinstall all my games and apps.

One thing that's bothering me though, my internet is half as fast as it was before. No idea why.

These are my speeds before I reformatted.
http://img38.imagesh.../speedtestd.jpg

These are my speeds now.
http://img30.imagesh.../speedtest1.jpg

I was having speed problems before but I don't know what could cause it to be even slower.

I guess that's a whole different problem altogether though... not sure if you guys could help. Either way, thanks for all the advice.

Edit: Scratch that, looks like it was a problem with my QoS settings on tomato firmware. I should probably look up how to do it properly.

Edited by hirow, 17 May 2009 - 11:14 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Good Job! :)
This is now resolved. If you have any more questions or problems, post here so that we can continue troubleshooting.

By the way...
Did you feel the earthquake? It was a 5.0
The epicenter was close to LA. I was scared this time, because the shaking lasted 15 secs.

hirow

hirow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
My friend asked me about it too, apparently he felt it. I was driving home with loud music so I didn't even feel it, haha.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

My friend asked me about it too, apparently he felt it. I was driving home with loud music so I didn't even feel it, haha.

It was noticeable. I was eating dinner when it happened.

Advertisements