Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why is S.M.A.R.T disabled on my primary master and slave drives?

• Please log in to reply

RKD2B

RKD2B

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I was looking at my screens after reboot and it say's that the Primary Master and the primary slave has the s.m.a.r.t disabled. What does this mean, and do I need to do anything about it? I have XP PRO by the way.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology, or S.M.A.R.T. (sometimes written as SMART), is a monitoring system for computer hard disks to detect and report on various indicators of reliability, in the hope of anticipating failures.

However it's perfectly possible for a drive to effectively be toast even though SMART says it's fine. Likewise it's entirely possible for SMART to claim a drive's been dying for the previous three years. Therefore like all technologies it's not totally foolproof. As to whether you need to do anything about it, probably not as this option's off by default in most situations.

You'll know about it when the drive's on the way out. Windows will start falling over, behaving erratically, everything gets painfully slow, files start getting corrupt or missing, etc.

RKD2B

RKD2B

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you Neil, I appreciate your reply. :)