Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VERY slow startup, maybe because of processes?

• Please log in to reply

meggo

meggo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello! I am in desperate need of help.

My computer has been running dreadfully slow - taking 10 minutes to boot up, another 5 before I can open and programs.

I've downloaded all kinds of spyware/malware/anti-virus stuff: Avast, AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Malwarbytes Anti-Malware. I've run them all, and they seemed to help at first, but my comp still seems to end up slowing down.

I have a feeling the problem is the number of processes I have - I have 61 !!! I have no idea why. I have svchost.exe repeated 6 times! Is that normal?

I removed a bunch of things from startup, but I'm still slow.

Any help would be AMAZING! Thank you!

Also, I keep getting the 'low virtual memory' pop up.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That many svchost.exe is normal. Nothing to worry about with that as it is a needed startup.

Download, install, and run Whats Running.
Click on Take Snapshot in the left pane.
New pop-up window will open.
Click on Save Snapshot and save the file as Snap (.xml extension will be added automatically) to Desktop location.

Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 May 2009 - 11:23 AM.

meggo

meggo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, I hope i did this right.

Thanks again for the help!

Attached Files

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Switch off your router. Click start > run. Type msconfig, click selective mode and then Startup. Uncheck everything including antimalware programs, reboot, up and report if there is significant improvement. If not, check your antimalware and firewall programs, switch on your router and continue.

2: Report size and free space of each partition on your hard disk. To this go to My computer, right-click each of the local disks > properties, and report your findings.

3: Report the size of the ram and the CPU of your computer: Click start, right click my computer, properties. At the bottom of the general page you can read the requested data.

4: Run disk defragmantation.

5: If you have an IDE type hard disk or if you are not sure: Click start > right click my computer > properties > hardware > device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Right-click Primary IDE channel and choose uninstall to remove the driver. Repeat the same process to Secondary IDE channel and reboot.

meggo

meggo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK!

1. I removed most of my start ups, only the ones that are necessary are left.

2. My C Drive has 14.2 GB free, 28.9 used, out of 43.2 GB.

D Drive has 30.6 GB free out of 31.2 GB.

3. Genuine Intel® CPU
T2300 @ 1.66GHz
1.66 GHz, 504 MB of RAM

4. I'm going to run defrag right now

5. check!

I'll report results in a bit!

Thanks again!

meggo

meggo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
still super slow, not sure what the problem is.

still getting 'low virtual memory' pop ups

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok first problem is your Ram is at the minimum for XP to run correctly not counting any Programs that may be Auto Starting
I would suggest for you to:

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You might want a RAM upgrade to 1GB, but it is not necessary. EDIT: Read it wrong... you need more RAM.

Check the size of your page file. Go to Start, the right click on "My Computer"
Click on "Properties" and then click on the "Advanced" tab. Click "Settings" in the Performance section. Go to the "Advanced" tab and in the "Virtual Memory" check the size, and report back.

Edited by edge2022, 11 May 2009 - 06:46 PM.

meggo

meggo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I checked the virtual memory - it says the paging file size for all drives is 753 MB

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
That looks about right for your 500mb of RAM. You might want to use Crucial's scanner and upgrade as rshaffer suggested.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You're running THREE antivirus programs: AVG, Avast, and Norton.
TWO of them have to go.
Before you do anything let us know, which one you want to keep.
My vote goes for Avast.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Two votes for Avast :)

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Contrary to the previous posts, if you have the full version (not free) of Norton, then I suggest keeping it.
It was rated the best security suite by PCWorld this year.
http://www.pcworld.c...ity_suites.html

I have also been using Norton for a while now, and really like it.

meggo

meggo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok, if im allowed by you all to do this, i still want to keep all my anti-virus stuff in case of virus crazy emergencies, but I will remove all but Avast from startup (i'm pretty sure i dont have a full version of Norton.)

will report back

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Running more then one anti virus at a time will be more problems then do any good.
It can slow your system down and potentially create problems with internet as well as give you false positive readings. Better to chose one and stick with it. Only need one of each of the following to have the best protection

Anti Virus
Anti Spyware
Anti malware
Firewall