Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What is wrong with my sound?

• Please log in to reply

computer help!

computer help!

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My sound works, but it comes out as a staticy noise whenever I am playing music, video, anything at all, with both my speakers and my headphones. I have done everything, updated the drivers, system restore, and a ton of other things. I don't know what is causing this, do I need a new sound card?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is sound onboard or a add on card? Do you have front and back connectors for sound and does it happen with both?

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Look for any entries with Yellow Exclamation marks or Red X's

In your next reply please include those results

Edited by rshaffer61, 09 May 2009 - 11:29 AM.

computer help!

computer help!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
under Other devices, "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" and "PCI Simple Communications Controller" both have yellow exclamation marks,
i think my sound is onboard but i am not completely sure, how can i check?

Edited by computer help!, 09 May 2009 - 11:38 AM.

computer help!

computer help!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i installed the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver, bu there is an error message that says "this device cannot start (code 10)"

Edited by computer help!, 09 May 2009 - 01:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

under Other devices, "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" and "PCI Simple Communications Controller" both have yellow exclamation marks,
i think my sound is onboard but i am not completely sure, how can i check?

Is the sound in a slot or is it up by the USB and Video. If the latter then it is onboard.

computer help!

computer help!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry for the long wait. i finally fixed it, i had to install this sigmatel driver or some [bleep] like that. thanks anyway

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thats where we were headed to install so you got there before I did. Congratulations for a resolution to your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help.
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible