Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

• Please log in to reply

the dillons

the dillons

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Please help!

I am getting a error message when I try to boot up my maching, it says that the <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. is missing or corrupt. Is there anything I can do? Thanks.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
1st of all, don't worry about your data because it is all safe.

Do you have your Windows CD? If so, then click on "Repair Common Windows Startup Problems" in my sig, and follow the instructions.

If you don't have your Windows CD, then click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig and follow the steps there. Once you have finished creating a boot disc from the "Recovery Console" tutorial, then use that disc as a substitute for the Windows CD in the "Repair Common Windows Startup Problems" link in my sig.

RK16

RK16

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, having the same problem so I'm following the recovery console instructions. Downloaded the burncdcc but it keeps attempting to open with iTunes! What program should I open it with? Thanks for your help.

RK16

RK16

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, I managed to get around that problem and burn the rc.iso CD using Rocio Creator - will that do?! Now trying to follow the 8 step guide to repairing windows. Problem is when I boot from the DC that I've created I get a blue screen which says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer" Any suggestions?! Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Change the boot sequence in bios so your cdrom is first.

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

RK16

RK16

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks, I managed to do all that and it said it was booting from the CD but still getting the same old error message windowsrootsystem32haldll.

RK16

RK16

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey, in case anyone can help...

Trying to fix a Del XP laptop. As soon as it's turned on I get the error message <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll saying that the file is missing or corrupt.

I don't have the original CD to boot from so I followed the instructions in the sig above but unfortunately it didn't work. As it's booting from the CD i burnt using burncdcc it just goes to a blue screen saying windows had to be shut down to prevent damage etc.

If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Direct to: RK16, I did not catch you bumped on this topic.

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

RK16

RK16

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Apologies, am new to this, don't know the rules!