Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MAJOR HARDWARE HELP NEEDED

• Please log in to reply

kaanij

kaanij

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi guys ,
Ive been experiencing computer issues with my computer since the first year i bought it back in 2004.The sound devices have always played up despite updating it with the relevant drivers from the official websites and trying countless driver packages, nothing works.I went as far as to install two totally brand new 1gb RAM , whilst removing the old 512 that was in there.On top of this i have installed a new harddrive of 320Gb.I thought that maybe my RAM was failing and that my hard disk may have been corrupt.This was not the case.

Here are in full detail , all the problems im having.

-No VGA driver installed/when installed , comes up as an (!) in device manager
-Realtek Audio 97 drivers installed but no sound device detected.
-Can occasionally hear system sounds , but it comes and goes
-Have driver detective installed, but will now not open and errors saying "please set reigstry key hklm\software\microsoft\.net framework \installroot to point to the .NET framework install location."
-Constant random reboots , blue screen which says one of two errors
either " IRQL NOT EQUAL" error or " PFN LIST" error.
-Ive tried running memtest through cd-rom and usb, but neither will work for some reason.and the machine continues loading windows.

Here is my computer spec
http://www.uktsuppor...nt/pc/t9100.htm
(which is now 320 gb SATA hardisk with 2GB ram and service pack 3)

ANY HELP WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED.
thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello welcome to GeeksToGo, We will be happy to help you. Let's work with one problem at a time.
For now I'm going to deal with the PFN List problem.

First thing I would like you to do is:

Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
Click Enter to disable it
The system should reboot and if not then do so.
When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the full error message

In your next reply please post the above information.

Second please remove one of the sticks of memory after doing the above and trying to boot your system into windows.
Do you still receive the above error message then?
Please reply back with your findings.

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks, i will let you know as soon as another error occurs.I have now disabled auto reboot when theres a system failure.

Ive had one of the RAM sticks out for about two weeks now while i tried running memory tests on it ( which i couldnt run in the end).Despite taking one of the sticks out, the errors would still occur.

If it helps i get these two errors everytime i boot up

" windows 2000 installer has failed" and " generic 32" errors both occur when i open my machine."

Even when i do a clean install on the Realtek audio drivers , and the sound begins working , sometimes, the sound can disable itself even though no settings have been changed since it got working again.Im worried that my onboard sound device is screwed...but dont wanna purchase even more hardware (such as a sound card) pointlessly if softwares the issue.

will reply soon with more information on the blue screen errors.

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Some progress has been made in uncovering what i think the issue is..years ago my father got the computer fixed by a friend who plugged in a cheap C-media sound card... i think the drivers from this piece of hardware have been conflicting with the drivers for the onboard hardware? think im right?

Either way ive had another blue screen since i last messaged...something about " page error where there is no paged area" ?

look forward to any suggestions you may have
for now i will try fixing the sound issue by primarily installing the drivers for the sound card , not for the onboard sound.

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
ya thing might be the problem so I wud like to suggest to use driver uninstaller tools to uninstall old driver then install onboard sound driver. make sure you download audio driver form manufacturer site.

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ive had further blue screens since re-adding my second RAM stick , this time saying " DRIVER IRQN NOT EQUAL "
ive installed both my onboard and soundcard with the most recent drivers.dont know what else to do.sound still isnt up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you can get the complete error message it may help to find the root of the problem. Please try this:

Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in XP. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue.

Go to
Start and then click on Run
Type in eventvwr.msc and press Enter
On left side click on Applications On right side look for any RED X about the time of a incident
On left side click on System. On right side look for any Red X about the same time of a incident
Also look for any yellow exclamation mark at the same time in either of the above
If you find any double click on one at a time and take a screenshot.
To take a screenshot click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start
All Programs
Accessories
Paint
In the empty white area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Include as a attachment in your next reply
If your attachment is to big to attach then go to Mediafire .
Register and upload your file.
Then reply with the link located to the right of your now uploaded file on Mediafire

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
here are the links to screen shots of my last 3 application and system errors in event viewer.

last 3 system errors
http://i48.photobuck...ystemerrors.jpg

last 3 application errors
http://i48.photobuck...t3apperrors.jpg

thanks for your interest in my problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Take out the Sound Card and just have the onboard sound installed.
As far as memtest86 problem did you burn the cd as a ISO and not a Bootable cd?

Below are the steps for Memtest86 and how to burn it. Please let me know if this is what you did or did you unzip the donwload file and then burn the 2 files that were inside?

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
both ram sticks errored early on into testing... i really dont know how that could be ?
i bought both sticks from two different online retailers less then a month ago? so theyre brand new.

know if memtest will show errors where there arent any present? i dont want to throw away two brand new sticks.

if not , then reccomendations on where to find good ram and which type i need will be appreciated.

Cheers

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First test each stick separately
Then to see what ram is exactly compatible:

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
yeah both ram sticks errored very quickly after being tested individually.

Im also looking to upgrade my cd/dvd drives? im happy buying two separate drives or an all in one .aswell as a new graphics card.
any suggestions at a reasonable price?

also , is there any way the motherboard could be to blame? i dont want to buy more parts pointlessly if a new computer would just end my misery.

will reply soon regarding my sound situation

thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
MOBO could always be to blame but I believe the problem is more related to software

Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: [And then to b]Quick Report-Summary[/b]
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE DEBUG- PCI

kaanij

kaanij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
here is the link to the online Ram scanner results you sent me ( whilst i had only one ram stick in)

http://i48.photobuck...ner-results.jpg

.. ATTACHED IS ALSO THE EVEREST REPORT OF MY SYSTEM SUMMARY

cheers

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also what kind of budget would you be looking at as that will make a difference in what parts and\or system you would be looking at. What are you going to be using the system for most of the time?