Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DESPERATE! Do you know which program saves in arc (hard disk cloni

• Please log in to reply

marwandesee

marwandesee

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
Last month I copied an Image of my laptop as it was messy and I needed to format it to my external hard disk. I used a program that I found on google but I can't remember the name, I know it was a 15 day trial. The only thing I have now is a 50.7 GB file, "laptopbackup.arc".
I've been searching on google now for ".arc disk image" but I can't find anything. What should I do?? I'm in deep trouble as there is information inside that I absolutely have to recover, I have tried every compression software, like winrar, 7zip, stuffit but they all say they can't recognize the format, despite the last two read arc files, but I'm guessing it's a proprietary format, it just uses the famous extension.
Thanks to everybody for the help!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
.arc files (a data compression format which is really really old now as it's been around for well over 25 years and isn't used any more) are usually generated by compression software. Older versions of Winzip can talk to them but not the new version 12. http://www.winzip.com/xextern.htm for details.