Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which free forum host will suit my needs?

• Please log in to reply

exhibitrans

exhibitrans

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I started a Tortoise forum about a year ago with freeforums.org which went quite well. I had to learn as I went along, but soon got the hang of things.

I now want to embark on another forum, but this time, I will have few needs which I want to be sure the host can supply, so I would like your advice please.

First, my forum needs to be able to display logo's and other website headers in a post such as this. For example, if I wanted to put the header from the Tortoise First Forum right underneath this paragraph, would it be possible & how?

Do any forum hosts allow the use of or process PayPal or debit/credit card transactions?

If I would need to pay for such a forum, which host/system is best?

I would like a spell checker on the forum, is this possible?

That'll do for now. I don't want to ask too many questions first off, since you might think I am being a bit cheeky and I don't want to end up being confused by a plethora of answers.

Advertisements

SternBern

SternBern

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

I started a Tortoise forum about a year ago with freeforums.org which went quite well. I had to learn as I went along, but soon got the hang of things.

I now want to embark on another forum, but this time, I will have few needs which I want to be sure the host can supply, so I would like your advice please.

First, my forum needs to be able to display logo's and other website headers in a post such as this. For example, if I wanted to put the header from the Tortoise First Forum right underneath this paragraph, would it be possible & how?

Do any forum hosts allow the use of or process PayPal or debit/credit card transactions?

If I would need to pay for such a forum, which host/system is best?

I would like a spell checker on the forum, is this possible?

That'll do for now. I don't want to ask too many questions first off, since you might think I am being a bit cheeky and I don't want to end up being confused by a plethora of answers.

Heh, those are all good questions. I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

For your first requirement, most free php boards offer such things as posting images. Here are some examples of free boards.
Now on to the hosting. There are a bunch of forum hosts that let you strictly host only forums. My favorite being Forumotion.com. You can try and get acquainted with Forumotion, but if you don't find it to your standards here's a quick list of a few other forum-only hosts.

Note that all of these different hosts have different forum options, therefore choosing one that best suits your needs, filter these to your liking, and if I didn't reply correctly, please say so and I'll try and help you some more. I won't state any commercial forums quite yet because first I want you to look through these, since they are completely free. Only when you say so will I post commercial forums.

Edited by SternBern, 13 May 2009 - 01:24 PM.

exhibitrans

exhibitrans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your advice, I will take a look at the options you have suggested to see if any fit the bill.

dune44

dune44

• Pip
  • 1 posts
- 1500 MB of Disk Space
- 100 GB Bandwidth
- Your own domain hosting
- cPanel Control panel
- Website Builder
- Over 500 website templates ready for download
- Free POP3 Email Box and Webmail access
- FTP and Web based File Manager
- PHP, MySQL, Perl, CGI, Ruby.
- No Ads at all !

Does that sound good? I thought so, it's also Totally Free. You can set up your own forum through the Hosting service with FTP or they have pre installed scripts that you can use to install the forums, you can also USE your own ADS/Banners. They also offer Paid Hosting for just over $4 a Month.

For free hosting, Honestly. It's the best I've ever come across.

Check it out Here: http://www.000webhost.com

Edited by dune44, 24 May 2009 - 11:51 PM.