Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All but one router connections dont work/Cant connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

Fawnie

Fawnie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yesterday, We switched ISP's from Earthlink to Time Warner, so a technician came over to set up the service.
The internet was set up on only one computer[Which has Vista], and since we had a router, Which had been modified a lot, the guy asked us if we wanted to just try to connect the router, but that if It didnt work, there was nothing he could do. We told him yes, he tried, and It didnt work, so he left the internet on only the main computer and left.

We had a Netgear WGR614 v6, and tried to set it up so that it would work with the new connection, But now nothing would connect to the internet, Wirelessly or by ethernet cable.
Made a new Home Network, still didnt work.
Did a hard reset, and tried to set it all up again, but no luck.
We decided to just get a new router, and Got a Netgear WNR2000, set it up, and same thing, Nothing would connect to the internet, wirelessly or by ethernet.
After a few hours of my dad messing with it, The main computer was able to connect to the internet while using the router, but still nothing else could, so we unplugged everything else, leaving only the main computer and left it alone for the night.

Today, I tried to connect my Xbox 360, Went to the Network settings, and everything was in Automatic, So I ran the test to check it's connection, and It said the 360 was connected to the network, but the network wasnt connected to the internet.I left it alone.
Instead I tried to plug in another computer, This one with XP, did the ipconfig/ release, dnsflush, config and renew, not in that order, rebooted the machine, But it didnt help.
In the network connections window, Under Internet Gateway, Thare's an internet connection that it shows is working and fine.
Under Lan/High Speed Internet, Both of the Icons there have a little lock on them.

Quite frankly, I dislike and epically fail at Vista, so I dont really know how to use it.
And I dont really know what else to do, or try.
Help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Fawnie -- welcome to G2G :)

What type of Internet connection did you use with your old ISP? What type of Internet connection do you have with your new ISP? i.e. Cable, DSL?

You stated that the main (Vista) computer could connect to the Internet through the router; if you connect your XP machine to the router and disconnect everything else, can it connect to the net? Or is it only your main machine?

Please try to connect both your Vista and XP machine to the router, and then do a connectivity test for the Vista and XP machines -- please label each log accordingly.

Step 1 - Connectivity test (Windows XP):
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Step 2 - Connectivity test (Windows Vista):
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan