Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help need advice from some masters

• Please log in to reply

ilewis

ilewis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey I just sitting my a levels and have come up with the idea of starting to build and sell computers, to help fund me a bit. I knw how to build computers as i ave before problem being is i dont knw how to get started into selling them. For example do i cut corners with cheap parts, where do i get parts at good prices that sorta stuff. Any advice from everyone would help me so much :)

thanks Lewis

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not difficult. Buy a bunch of bits then sell them again for more than you paid for them. Any business that sells stuff for less than they pay for it will be dead in three days.
As to where you cut corners depends on the sort of systems you want to sell. Cheap and cheerful, bargain basement or eats everything you feed it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I don't cut any corners.

I don't sell as many systems as some of my competitors.

I very, very rarely have warranty issues, and never have customers accuse me for doing the cheap and dodgy by them. Be open and honest.

You will most probably need to find a wholesale supplier and sign up for an account with them to get cheap parts. I applied for quite a few and got knocked back by all except one, simply because I was a one-man business not aiming to sell hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of their parts a year.

Then do research into your local cheap parts supplier and compare prices. I haven't used my wholesale account at all yet because there is a major chain that is cheaper and open to the general public.

Then work out how much you expect to earn per hour for your time, how much % you expect to earn on parts. Then double check that with prices from your potential competitors. It's a difficult industry to start up in these days, as competition is very strong.