Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway laptop - Operating System not Found

• Please log in to reply

angelwings

angelwings

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Gateway laptop model MX6927 running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

I turned it on today and rather then the blue logon screen I got this message...

PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating system not Found

I have a lot of files on my computer that i havent backed up and really really am hoping that somehow i will be able to get my computer working with out losing any of that data.

I am not very computer literate and have been looking around at diffrent sites for advice on how to fix my laptop as to not spend a lot of money. So far I have accessed the BIOS setup and changed the boot order to have "main hard drive" first on the list but it didn't do anything. I dont know if restoring anything else will lose my files. Please Help! It is greatly appreciated! ^__^

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go back to BIOS.
Disable Boot from Network (wording is different on every machine, may say Integrated NIC, Network, PXE-xxxxxxx)
Save changes, and exit.
Restart computer.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
We can try to get your data back, which is the first step to do here. This error can point to a bad hard drive or file system, and in some cases a BIOS issue.

Click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig, and follow the directions.
EDIT: Anything you did before this problem started happening? Any viruses removed?

Edited by edge2022, 12 May 2009 - 11:50 PM.

angelwings

angelwings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Broni - I went to the BIOS setup and couldnt find anything regardung the network,

my choices up top are main, advanced, security, boot and exit

under boot there is a list and my top one is main hard drive, the last one is Boot to LAN

I also looked under the "advanced" tab and the only things that i saw related to a network was "internal LAN"

edge2022 - im downloading ubuntu now and am going to work on backing up the files but i havent removed anything lately. I had AVG virus scanner
installed and ran it periodically but the only thing that i removed were tracking cookies. My computer has been slow and freezing up lately
and itunes have been messing up but i figured that the itunes was a program problem (as it very well maybe) not a computer problem.
About two months back i did remove a trojan though but it was a while ago.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All right. Hope everything goes well with Ubuntu.
As for Broni's instructions, I don't really know what to do, so wait for a response from Broni.

angelwings

angelwings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i downloaded and ran ubuntu however i cant find any of my files...does this mean that my hard drive is dead?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Did you try the steps to manually mount the drive?
Can GParted see your drive?
When you look at the properties of the drive, does GParted give you an error?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, which is not listed, try using Hitachi tools.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
You could also use Seatools for DOS which you will find in the link Broni gave you.
Do you hear a clicking sound coming from your hard drive?