Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extremely low space in C drive

• Please log in to reply

adai2020

adai2020

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi all,

I need some serious help here. My computer has the following specifications:

C Drive:
Used Space : 8.75GB
Free Space : 34.2 MB

D Drive:
Used Space : 808MB
Free Space : 9.06GB

The problem is that i have extremely low available space in my C drive. As a result of low available space, i am unable to install and run any other program even if the installation destination is in my D drive. Low C drive space also limits a lot of my computer's functionality.

I do not have any unnecessary program files or programs installed in my computer. I only have have very necessary and minimal program loaded in my C Drive. I have also cleared up all my temporary folders and other temporary storages using ATF Cleaner and even manually. I don't have any huge data files in my C Drive.

I need some serious solution to this low space problem as i have tried all available solutions such as cleaning temporary files and deleting unnecessary files or moving data files to D drive. In fact, my 'Program Files' in C drive is only :
Size : 1.48GB
Size on disk: 1.04GB
Contains: 9390 Files, 680 Folders

which is very small comparative to the size of my C drive.

I realized that my 'Windows' folder in my C drive has the following specifications:
Size: 8.46GB
Size on Disk : 6.74GB
Contains: 21085 Files, 1524 Folders

As you can see, my 'Windows' folder is exceptionally large relative to the entire size of my C drive. I am unsure whether 'Windows' folder are meant to be as of such huge sizes. The 'Windows' folder takes up approximately about 80% of the entire C drive.

I need some serious solution to obtain more space in my C drive. I thought of expanding my C drive by enlarging its partition and reducing the space of D drive. How do i do this ? Is there any good software that can expand my C drive and gain some more space by eating into the unused D drive ?

Actually any serious solution that can increase my C drive space are welcomed. I would highly appreciate a quick reply and a workable solution.

Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First I would suggest a larger capacity drive. They are inexpensive now as apparent HERE.
Second to increase the size of the main partition you would have to clean out the second partition first.
Third please do the following:

Download and install EVEREST
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.

PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 May 2009 - 08:49 AM.

adai2020

adai2020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Dear rshaffer61,

As you had requested, i had installed Everest. The following is the report from Everest.

What should i do next ? Is the idea of expanding C drive by moving its partition a good idea ? If it is, how can i do it safely ? In my D drive there is a folder called 'dell' . In that folder called 'dell' , there is a subfoler called 'drivers' which in turn contains 4 other folders. Will it be safe for me to simply move/copy this folder to C drive so as to totally cleanup my D drive before the process of expanding partition ?

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition © 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer P4
Generator Adaickalavan
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2002-11-12
Time 05:14

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name P4
User Name Adaickalavan

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2000 MHz (20 x 100)
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 4550
Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale i845PE
System Memory 256 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (11/12/02)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation) (32 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 M64
Monitor Dell E771a [17" CRT] (92DWM2AP809N)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD200EB-75CPF0 (18 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8481B (48x/24x/48x CD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 8997 MB (26 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 10087 MB (8988 MB free)
Total Size 19084 MB (9014 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Intel® PRO/100 VE Network Connection (192.168.1.3)
Modem Smart Link 56K Voice Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Lexmark Z25-Z35
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - USB Controller [A-1]
USB2 Controller Intel 82801DB ICH4 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]
USB Device Creative WebCam Go Mini (LCDC)

Problems & Suggestions:
Problem Disk free space is only 0% on drive C:.

adai2020

adai2020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Oops sorry,

Accidentally posted the same post twice, hence i have removed this second repetitive post.

Edited by adai2020, 13 May 2009 - 10:00 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Problem One: "System Memory 256 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)"
This is the bare minimum to run XP without any other programs running. I would suggest the following to fix this problem:

Go HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Problem Two your drive:

Drive D looks to be your Recovery Partition....Is this a desktop or laptop?

adai2020

adai2020

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

This is a Desktop.

I had run the Crucial test, and the following was one of the recommendation:

"
Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your Dell Dimension 4550 (400MHz FSB) Desktop/PC .

Current system configuration : 256MB

Suggested Upgrade: Add 1 GB new memory and add another 1 GB new memory for a total of 2GB new memory.

Suggested DDR upgrade:
1GB
Part #: CT524276 • DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 •

"

- Where can i purchase these 1 GB upgrade and how do i go about installing these new upgraded DDR

- How do i extend my C drive partition to overcome the constant reminder "You are running low of space in your C drive" message which pops up at the bottom of my screen and how do i go about doing it ?

Thanks a lot for your help rendered thus far.

Thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I can give you suggestions but not knowing any online stores in your area not sure what you can buy.

Go Here. I would suggest either Mushkin or Crucial

Here
I would suggest Crucial

Since it suggest 2 gigs I would agree. That way no problem there in the future.

Now how about the Hard Drive? Either of those sites will have Hard Drives also and I would suggest going to a 160 gig and that would more then triple your existing capacity. Add the new drive as second drive and then use it for data and main drive for OS only. You could also install programs to the second drive. When installing new programs just change the install directory to second drive.

Edited by rshaffer61, 13 May 2009 - 12:55 PM.