Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer/Netscape connectivity problems? IPFs

• Please log in to reply

MrWombat

MrWombat

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Note: I originally posted this in the 95/98*admin forum, but since the main problem is the internet, I've copied it here.

Greetings.

My situation is an "interesting" one. My system is a V400DBL motherboard (AMD) with a 1.6ghz processor, 256 MB of RAM, and a GeForce FX5200 gpu. Recently I had a hard drive failure (was running WinME at the time), and, since the system was custom-built by a friend of my father (said paternal unit lacking common sense with regards to computers), and it did not come with a system-restore disc of any sort, nor a copy of the OS. Since all of our Windows discs are upgrade versions, I couldn't install any OS on a fresh hard drive. Instead, I opted to copy bit-for-bit the hard drive that supported my mother's (significantly older) system. It is Win98. After a day of problems, I managed to get the "copy" drive to boot on its own. I then placed it in my system.

Windows booted fine on the new system, but of course, it lacked a substantial number of the drivers for the hardware on my system. I opted to upgrade to Win98 SE in an effort (mostly fruitless) to gain the necessary drivers (as the driver disk that came with the system is sketchy at best - Engrish and problematic processes abound).

Windows 98SE didn't cooperate with the onboard LAN adapter (it kept throwing MSGSRV32 errors on startup), so I disabled it via the BIOS and acquired a new NIC LAN adapter. Windows accepts the hardware and its drivers just fine, but...

Any and every attempt to access the internet results in an "EXPLORER/NETSCP caused an invalid page fault in < unknown> module at 0000:00c..." error message. I should note that my CPL files are all fine, and winipcfg does not cause an error.

I've run two different AV programs (with no results), and consulted tons of solutions for similar IPFs, but no luck.

My system is free of all files/registry entries of Novell, Netzip, Safeguard, New.net, BHODemon, BackWeb, SaveNow, and WebHancer (culprits named as possible causes for the problem). I've also reinstalled Win98SE, extracted a fresh copy of Wsock32.dll, and performed occult sacrificial rites in an attempt to obtain internet connectivity without the evil IPFs, but no luck.

Do you have any ideas or solutions as to how to fix this problem?

Also, I might be able to pull some strings to buy an XP Upgrade (not full) home edition - would this correct the problem?

EDIT: The IE version is 5.0 (it was 6.0, reinstalled it, problem still isn't resolved) and the Netscape version is 7.0.

Thanks for your time.
-Derr

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Windows 98 SE is famous for problems. Try this, download the new IE with the service pack 1
www.microsoft.com/downloads

As for the page fault:
An exception when using virtual memory (1) resulting from an access to a virtual memory location for which no translation is defined. This is usually an error, often, anachronistically, known as a segmentation violation. Similar terms: bus error. See also: page fault.
www.memorymanagement.org/glossary/i.html

Tell this forum a little bit about your computer system,
Good Luck!