Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading my system need sussgections

• Please log in to reply

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
current sytem>
antec 900 case with ulta 750 PSW
vista ultimate 32bit
gtc 260 video card
4gb memory DDR2
asus P5KC MB
with intel Q6600 2.40G
wd 10,000 rpm 150 G drive
my new system:
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case
WD VelociRaptor 300GB Hard Drive WD3000HLFS - 10K RPM, 16MB Cache, SATA 300MB/s
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Motherboard - LGA1366, Intel X58
Intel Core i7 940 Processor / Memory Bundle - 2.93GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8GT/s QPI, LGA 1366, Retail, Fan, 1333MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048)
upgrading to 64bit ultimate vista
going to use muy video card the GTX 260
and Power supply havent decided yet might use my old one since havent had any troubles with it.
any other suggestion or recomendations .
still trying to figure out how going to transfer my documents and all my emails ect over to new system.

Advertisements

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
How much RAM are you going to have?

To take full advantage of your raptor, I would get the smaller one and just put your OS, games, and anything else that you want to use the faster speed for. Then get another slower HDD for all of your music, documents, etc.

That PSU should work as long as you havent been having any problems with it, but it wouldn't hurt to order a newone and keep it handy as a backup.

Since you didn't mention a CPU cooler, I would recommend this Zalman.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118046

To transfer all of your files, you could buy an external hard drive and use that, blank cd/dvd's, thumb drive, etc.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Intel Core i7 940 Processor / Memory Bundle - 2.93GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8GT/s QPI, LGA 1366, Retail, Fan, 1333MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048)

Blazing fast, however, the i7 920 (CLICK HERE) is in that same department at half the price. I would recommend researching more about the i7 technology. The 940 may be overkill, even if you are an extreme gamer. From what I have researched, many extreme gamers find it more beneficial to just get the i7 920, and overclock it, than get the 940 and its hefty price tag. Just a suggestion,

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
at first just 6mb ram hopefully going to be able to add more ram later everyone said go with the 64bit operating sysytem so I give it a try ,

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

at first just 6mb ram hopefully going to be able to add more ram later everyone said go with the 64bit operating sysytem so I give it a try ,

I just want to clarify, I assume you mean 6GB of RAM.

rinconjoe

rinconjoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
yes sorry