Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why would i need .NET Framework ?

• Please log in to reply

biren

biren

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
i have received a windows update notification - for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack.

what i want to know is, should i download this heavy update (70MB)?
and...
why do i need .NET framework? what does it do?

thank you.

biren

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
From Wikipedia:

The Microsoft .NET Framework is a software framework that can be installed on computers running Microsoft Windows operating systems. It includes a large library of coded solutions to prevent common programming problems and a virtual machine that manages the execution of programs written specifically for the framework. The .NET Framework is a key Microsoft offering and is intended to be used by most new applications created for the Windows platform.

In short, the .NET Framework is something that many applications depend on, and you should always update it, because Microsoft constantly fixes security holes in the framework. The .NET Framework is a core component for many applications, and some will require this update. I suggest you continue with the update, as it is important.