Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

please help upgrade a video card

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Vista 32 bit If you go to 64 bit version you will have to do a fresh install
XP support from Microsoft will end in June I believe. You will no longer be able to get any help from them after that.
Vista if I am correct has a support life till 2014
The benefit of a 64 bit OS is that you can have more then 4 gigs of memory installed on your system and the OS will recognize and use it.

Advertisements

Edu17

Edu17

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello. I know this topic is from 2009, but I found it through Google because it's relevant to what I would like to ask about today.
Basically, I'm inheriting an old computer which is pretty much the same as that in this thread:

Windows XP
DIXONSXP Ei 314
3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies
Ati radeon xpress 200
1 GB RAM (I believe)

I'm looking to build a budget gaming desktop PC. This processor seems pretty good to me, as it has 2 CPUs at 3.2 GHz.

I have 2 extra 512mb RAM sticks I could add, and I could buy more. I will need to see if there is space to add them. Right now, I don't have access to the computer for maybe a few weeks, so I can't open it up and look inside just yet.

I've not built a computer by myself before, but I have a little experience installing new graphics cards and such in my old computer. There is a recent large hard drive installed, but I think it's corrupted in some fashion. It has Windows XP on it. I would like to wipe the disk somehow and install a copy of Windows 7 if possible.

My main question though is, is it possible to install a newer graphics card onto this motherboard and build a working PC out of it? Or is the MOBO/CPU too old to think of doing this? I'm thinking along the lines of an AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GB or 6770 for the GPU as they are not brand new, but pretty decent and good value for money. This is from my little bit of research, but if anybody knows of a better budget graphics card which can run high-end graphics for recent FPS/other games, then I would appreciate the advice.

Things I don't know:

-If the computer and motherboard can handle a new modern graphics card. I read in this thread that the motherboard will accept PCI-Express, so the cards I mentioned above would fit that criteria

-Whether I can just add more RAM (the 2 extra ones I have are DDR 512 PC3200 400Mhz sticks. Not sure if all RAM sticks need to be same kind, or match up to the motherboard in some way)

-If the power supply will be sufficient (I need to look up what the PSU specs are somehow)

Thank you very much for any responses.
-Ed

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
:welcome: Edu17
With the details you have provided I found the following http://uktsupport.ip...showtopic=13921
Shows the MB to be a http://www.foxconnch...&U=en-us0000191
I suggest that you wait until you have the PC so that you can check that the MB is the correct one before going any further with new parts.

Edu17

Edu17

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, thanks for the quick response. This seems like a fantastic community.

I will certainly wait until I can have a look inside before purchasing new parts anyway. I guess I can't find out the make of the motherboard without looking at it physically, so when I get the chance to do so, I'll return here and let you know what it is. It seems quite likely that it is the same motherboard you've pointed out in that link, but of course it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks again,
-Ed

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I guess I can't find out the make of the motherboard without looking at it physically, so when I get the chance to do so, I'll return here and let you know what it is.

Please download CPUz from my signature below

[1:] Save it to your desktop.
[2:] Click on the icon it creates and let it run
[3:] I need the following information from it.
[4:] First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
[5:] Click on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
[6:] Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.
Please include in your next reply

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Edu17

Edu17

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Manufacturer: DIXONSXP
Model: RC4107MA-RS2H

Memory Type: DDR2
Memory Size: 1024 MBytes

Max Bandwidth: PC2-5300 (333 MHz)

Cheers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your motherboard is made by Foxconn and I believe this is the specs on it HERE

Edu17

Edu17

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks a lot. Now we're making some progress :)

So it has a PCI-E x16 slot, so I think that means I can install a nice new graphics card in there, if it fits. (Still thinking HD 5770 1gb) Do I need to know anything about the power supply when thinking about the graphics card?

It says there are only 2 slots for RAM, DDR2. Not sure if this includes the 1024 mb already installed. I would prefer to get up to 4gb but perhaps this isn't possible... (I have 2 sticks of extra RAM already - they say 'DDR512PC3200'. I can buy new RAM if necessary)

Could you tell me what my options are for RAM + a graphics card? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

So it has a PCI-E x16 slot, so I think that means I can install a nice new graphics card in there, if it fits. (Still thinking HD 5770 1gb) Do I need to know anything about the power supply when thinking about the graphics card?

5770 will work and you just have to make sure the bare minimum is a 450 watt PSU but I strongly suggest a 600 watt or better.

It says there are only 2 slots for RAM, DDR2. Not sure if this includes the 1024 mb already installed. I would

You have a total of 2 slots counting the one that is already there.

I would prefer to get up to 4gb but perhaps this isn't possible... (I have 2 sticks of extra RAM already - they say 'DDR512PC3200'. I can buy new RAM if necessary)

Since you are using a 32 bit OS the max it will utilize is 3.5 gigs. I would suggest getting another 1 gig module to match what you already have for a total of 2 gigs.

Could you tell me what my options are for RAM + a graphics card? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

The ram I just explained and as far as the video card you are talking about the same video I have and I can play all the newer games with no problem with it.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Duplicate reply - by me as post above from rshaffer61

Advertisements

Edu17

Edu17

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks a lot, you've really helped clear up a few things in my head. I'll upgrade to 2gb ram (ddr2) and hopefully get a 5770 and I'll check the PSU.

I would wish to install Windows 7 ideally (I'm used to it on my laptop now, XP would feel like going back in time). Whether I get the 32-bit or 64-bit version, I don't know yet, and I don't know if there's any reason to go for 64-bit.

So one final question - is it possible to simply wipe XP and everything off the hard drive, and make a fresh install of Windows 7? As I said somewhere before, there might be something corrupt on the hard drive. I could consider buying a new hard drive in any case. (I'm slightly confused as to whether the OS is entirely on the hard drive or if it's on the motherboard or something... sorry for my lack of knowledge!)

Once again, thanks for all the help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

is it possible to simply wipe XP and everything off the hard drive, and make a fresh install of Windows 7? As I said somewhere before, there might be something corrupt on the hard drive

Before doing that I highly suggest you check WIn7 adviser. A good way to find out is Win 7 Update Advisor.
This will Tell you of any potential issues with either your hardware or software. It will also tell you about drivers available for your system for Win 7

Edu17

Edu17

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Ah that sounds perfect, I'll check it out some time.

Thanks again for the help. I've learnt a lot :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and please let us know if we can help further. also let us know how everything turns out as we like to know good or bad. It may help someone with the same issue later. :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,796 posts
Hi guys, can I just come back to the original information that was provided and explain why I suggested what I did, a google search for DIXONSXP Ei 314 shows that the system was available with two different MBs ( both provided by Foxconn ) one has an AGP slot and the other pci-e, this was why I suggested that you wait until you have the PC so that you can check that the MB is the correct one before going any further with new parts.

Edu17 from your OP

Windows XP
DIXONSXP Ei 314
3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies
Ati radeon xpress 200
1 GB RAM (I believe)

Also from your OP

I don't have access to the computer for maybe a few weeks, so I can't open it up and look inside just yet.

The two previous links I provided mention the AGP possibility and the Everest report @ http://www.techsuppo...ing-274478.html also shows an AGP slot present.
I hope that your MB has the pci-e type slot as it offers support for a better add on video card but I must remind you that it may not be pci-e.

FWIW: Dixons is an electrical retailer in the UK which is/was owned by the same company as PC World among others.