Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Quite Slow

• Please log in to reply

Ironside

Ironside

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Just formatted my PC and connected to the Internet. I downloaded some trackball drivers from Kensington.com and boy was it low. I think it slowed right down to around 11KB. Is is their web site, or the computer I have just connected up again?. My other computer Internet speed is okay and it's on the same network.

Edited by Ironside, 14 May 2009 - 02:38 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Ironside,

Have you installed the latest drivers for your Network card? What's the make and model of the Network card? Let's check out the speeds. Can you please run a speed test over at SpeakEasy -- once the speed test is complete, it will post your information towards the bottom of the page under the More information heading -- please copy/paste that information into your next response. Do this for the "slow machine" and the "working machine" so that we can see the difference.

On the "slow machine", please do the following:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, type tracert google.com > C:\trace.txt
  • This command will take a few minutes to complete -- wait for your command prompt to return.
  • Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file trace.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan