Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 Internet Connection Icons Running At Same Time

• Please log in to reply

Rich

Rich

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was surfing the net today when i noticed a second internet connection icon appear in my taskbar.When i disabled the one,i couldnt get into the internet.Both connection icons have to be running in order for me to connect to the net.There should be only one running, so im confused on this one.And i was wondering if you guys can help me out?If i place the cursor on both icons it states that they are both active net connections. <_< Thanks!

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi rich
Welcome to geekstogo
How do you connect to the internet dsl,cable or dailup? who do you use for a isp?
check whats in your network connections in your control panel.
<_<

Rich

Rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have dsl through bell sympatico.When i enter the network connections there is one icon that states.................. Broadband
Connected
wan miniport(pppoe) and the second icon underneath states that.................Lan or hispeed internet
Enabled,Firewalled
3com etherlink xl 10/100 pci... I have to enable the etherlink to get an internet connection,but if i do it this way i still have 2 connections running at the same time.If i disable the etherlink,i cant get an internet connection.I have to enable the etherlink card,and then connect through the net through the sympatico icon in order to connect to the net.I usally only need to connect through the net with the sympatico icon nad only 1 icon appears that states that im connected,but i have 2 running.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
hi
ok this is a new one to me I have never seen this before. did you install the software that bell gave you or did they come in and set it up for you? this one in Lan or hispeed internet is your net card which should turn on when you boot your pc. you should not have to do anything with that to get on the net. sound like one of these may have got messed up. I need a little more info. on what you use when your on the web. is it IE?
<_<

Rich

Rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I installed the software that bell gave me,and they helped me set up my internet connection.
I use Msn internet explorer.This has never happened before so im confused myself on this one :D This happened yesterday,and it has never done this before.I checked to see if my net card was fine with a utility check,and also bye opening my pc to see if it was loose or damaged,but everthing was fine. <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Let's take a look for nasties. See the HiJack This Guide in my signature, don't change anything, just post the log back to this topic. We'll review it and recommend any changes. <_<

Rich

Rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 12:20:10 AM, on 1/12/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Speed Disk\nopdb.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\FSI\F-Prot\F-StopW.EXE
C:\Program Files\FSI\F-Prot\F-Sched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\LXSUPMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\lexpps.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\BulletProofSoft.com\SpywareRemover\SpyWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\BulletProofSoft.com\SpywareRemover\3BAC756F.DLL
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis[1]\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.msn.ca/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [F-StopW] C:\Program Files\FSI\F-Prot\F-StopW.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FRISK FP-Scheduler] C:\Program Files\FSI\F-Prot\F-Sched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\PROGRA~1\ZONELA~1\ZONEAL~1\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LXSUPMON] C:\WINDOWS\System32\LXSUPMON.EXE RUN
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SPYWATCH] C:\Program Files\BulletProofSoft.com\SpywareRemover\SpyWatch.exe /STARTUP
O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000} (Shockwave ActiveX Control) - http://active.macrom...tor/cabs/sw.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupd...7976.5064930556
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macr...ash/swflash.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{2A98C72D-74AB-4962-80BD-FB2D5FC8E493}: NameServer = 207.236.176.12 198.235.216.110
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{2A98C72D-74AB-4962-80BD-FB2D5FC8E493}: NameServer = 207.236.176.12 198.235.216.110

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Wow! What a nice CLEAN log. I also see you have anti-virus, anti-spyware, and a firewall running. Two thumbs up! <_< :D

Now, if we can figure out what is causing your network problems. :D I'm a little confused by your post, but I'll reread it and see if I can come up with a recommendation.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Rich, your network connections look normal to me. When connecting via PPPoE client, I'm pretty certain you'll need this the client enabled, and of course your DSL modem is connected to your ethernet, so that needs to be enabled too.

I read the Bell Sympatico is doing some major upgrading to their service starting in January. Could this be the reason it appears different to you? Have you always connected with a PPPoE client?

Networking is not my strength, maybe someone else will add some insight. There's also a great Sympatico forum at DSL Reports.

Rich

Rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I learned my lesson awile back ago when my pc was running so bad.I didnt no what spyware was,but i found out pretty fast.I stinkin hate spyware,so ill do just about anything to keep my pc safe.Awile back ago i had spyware that disabled my spyware,so i decided to fight back. :D Anyway, my modem (is) connected to my ethernet card.adn my ppoe (is) also connected.I called bell,and they think something is wrong with my etherlink card.I did a few checks,and nothing seems to be wrong.I think they no as much as i do when it comes to networking...lol :D Thanks! again for your help and determination.. <_<

Advertisements

Rich

Rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
:D Hey! guys, I fixed my problem with the 2 connections running at the same time.I dont no exactly what happened,but what i do no is that my problem is fixed. :D I completly uninstalled my etherlink card through the hardware wizard in the control panel,and then i searched for new harware through the hardware wizard and it found my etherlink card and then re-installed my etherlink card through the hardware wizard.I checked to see if i had the 2 connections running,but i only had the 1 connection running.I then checked my etherlink card in network properties,and it stated that my card was enabled the way it should be.I dont no exactly what happened,but i can only guess that something was wrong with files,or drivers.and the re-install of the etherlink card did the trick <_< i just thought i would let you no so if anyone comes across the same problem the can try the same steps. Thanks! guys once again for all your help on this one.Its good to have a helping hand when you need it. :D :D

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Thanks much for sharing your resolution, it will help others with the same problem. <_<

dajdawg

dajdawg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I made this account just to clear this up because I was having the same exact issue and this is the easiest thread to come across on google. I found the solution on another website, and can't remember what one it was. But the solution is very simple for future reference :D

Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs

Click on the Add/Remove Windows Components button on the left

Scroll down to and double click Networking Services and uncheck the "Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client" box. A quick reboot and you're done.

From what I understand this simply allows you to share your internet to another device, and from what I've heard it also is a backdoor for hackers. And my internet seems lots faster without it too.

Edited by dajdawg, 07 November 2010 - 10:00 PM.

duanzao321

duanzao321

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When i disabled the one,i couldnt get into the internet.Both connection icons have to be running in order for me to connect to the net.There should be only one running, so im confused on this one.And i was wondering if you guys can help me out?If i place the cursor on both icons it states that they are both active net connections.

dajdawg

dajdawg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
did you try what i posted duan? i've had this happen before and that was the solution i used last time. this time i didn't remember what happened, but it fixed it again.