Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading My Video Card

• Please log in to reply

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Hello... :)
I have an Hp Pavilion 760n. I have made some upgrades to it, such as giving it 2GB of RAM, and swapping out the CD burner for a DVD burner.
The mobo on this computer is an Asus P4B266-LA.
Right now I have a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 (4x, running on a maximum 4x AGP port)
This card is not good enough for me, and I felt this is the time to upgrade it, since a new computer will only come by in another few years.
The mobo will support PCI (not PCI-e) and AGP

I couldn't find a good AGP card, so I looked for a PCI one. After browsing the shelves at Fry's Electronics, I came upon a PNY Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS that was a PCI card. It has 512mb DDR2 memory and supports Direct X10. This card only cost me 60$ with a 10$ rebate. Is there a better card that you suggest for my price point?

Advertisements

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
With that old of hardware there really is no point in upgrading.

What you found sounds good, but it also depends on your power supply. Do you know the specs on it?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I know that the pc is old, but I wanted to squeeze out another 3-4 years of life, before I buy a new one. My PSU can support it. Can you find a better card that is around 50-80$?

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
I found this card and it is about 2 or 3 levels above the card you previosuly posted(performance wise) but is only DX9. It also says that it requires at least 450 W for full performance, but some users are saying they are able to run it off of 300W, but that is not guaranteed.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814161227

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, 15 May 2009 - 06:02 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Thank you very much. Not so sure my PSU would be able to run it well, but it is one of the best PCI cards I have seen.
The 8400 GS has a stock core clock of 567 mhz. The core clock of the ATI card is 550 mhz. They both appear to be overclockable, but with stock cooling, how much can I push it?

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
With stock cooling, it is hard to tell.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I don't think I can push it that far without swapping it's heatsink and fan for something more powerful. Thank you for all your help! :)