Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC freezes at "Verifying DMI Pool Data"

• Please log in to reply

Fire Belle

Fire Belle

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Last night I turned on my tower as usual. I then noticed it halts right after it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data"
I can't get past this point on the load process. I then started to troubleshoot:
-Verified no floppy diskette or CD is in the computer.
-Hardware...made sure everything was plugged in correctly
-Verified that the hard disk drive settings are set properly and that it is set to Auto Detect
-Verified that the boot options are set properly(But now I have the primary boot set to cdrom for windoews system disc boot)
-Reset the CMOS settings and loaded the default or fail-safe defaults

I now have inserted the Windows XP Home ed. cd and am trying to repair using these steps:
-At the welcome to Setup screen I chose "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER.
-END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT, press F8=I agree
-Selected c:\WINDOWS "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" and To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
-I then receive "Please wait while Setup examines your disks"
-I can get it to run and start copying files but then randomly I get "Setup cannot copy the file:" this time it's file swmidi.sys
-To retry, press ENTER. Sometimes it moves on to another file that it can't copy like crtdll.dll, and palabi.tff, and cinemst2.sys, and cpqdap01.sys

The screen goes black after retry and then I get this stop error screen...

Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF732C005)

***USBPORT.SYS - Address F732C005 base at F7327000, DateStamp 41107d62

I have gone through this process over and over....

I keep receiving the same type of error screen but with other issues such as:

Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntfs.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0x90909090, 0x00000001, 0x00000000, 0xF70B0411)

*** ntfs.sys - Address F70B0411 base at F7073000, DateStamp 41107eea

and again...

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x7436B848, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x80818C9F)

I know I may have a few files that I have not backed up yet but I am more concerned with retrieving my favorites on ie. Though I would prefer to repair my system than to install a fresh copy. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated, Thanks everyone!!!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
If you do not have a windows xp disk, download the following file: rc.iso....go here..then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r...then when you get to the prompt...type in chkdsk /r press enter...NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang a a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on large the drive is...
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer....

Edited by happyrock, 19 May 2009 - 07:25 PM.