Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down after a few seconds

• Please log in to reply

sassenach

sassenach

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi,
i have a computer here which i cleaned with a computer dust spray. my family member was complaining it makes a lot of noise. i noticed the pcu fan was so dusty, i cleaned it with the spray.

when i was done, i started the computer and i get this continious long beep. i get to the post stage and sometimes i see the win xp loading (or safe mode), then the computer shuts down.

i took out the fan again, placed it back. still nothing.
i took out the RAM, placed it back and still nothing.
i took out the battery, places the RAM in a different slot, and the computer loaded without the beeping sound, but it still shuts down after about 20 seconds.

any ideas?
thanks

Read more: "Continious long beep, then computer shuts down" - http://www.computerh...h...0FevCwcNL

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Single long beeps are always memory related. Replace the memory with known good memory( have it tested first).

SRX660

sassenach

sassenach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i placed the memory in a different slot and it does NOT beep any more.

it still shuts down after a few seconds. i do get to the windows loading either safe or normal mode, then it shuts down.

from my testing, when i unplug power cord to the ATX_12V on the motherboard, the computer does NOT shut down, but obviously the system will not start. When i then plug in the power cord to the ATX_12V on the motherboard, the computer shuts down sometime when the windows tries to load, either normal or in safe mode.

when i cleaned the computer i took out the CPU fan to clean it with the spray because it was way dusty. i am not sure if after plugging it back in caused this mess.

??????

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is the 4 pin AUX CPU power connector plugged in...did you remove the heatsink...if so did you replace the thermal paste..how to is here..

sassenach

sassenach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok so i bought thermal paste, i reapplied.
i also bought a new PS.

after all that, i do reach the windows loading screen, but then it shuts off.

any ideas???????????????????

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you get to the bios...usually by pressing the delete key as soon as you power up...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a short with MOBO or CPU is not seated correctly.

sassenach

sassenach

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
so i solved the problem thanks to all of you.

1. the PS was not strong enough, so I bought a good one (550w), not a generic brand.
2. i reapplied thermal paste.
3. changed the cpu fan.

that did the job.

windows is now working and the computer is nice and quiet.

thanks for your help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
glad you got it working...your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)