Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Cable Is Unplugged Issue

• Please log in to reply

givenalias

givenalias

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey all, I began having this issue with my internet and I'm hoping for some help. I had been using a random wireless network that was open but decided to just order my own internet service. That was about two weeks ago and I've had nothing but issues since.

At seemingly random times (I haven't noticed any rhyme or reason to it) an error will appear that says a network cable is unplugged and the internet will go out. If I leave it alone it will come back online in a few minutes. I have checked about twenty times that the cables are definitely not unplugged. If I wiggle the ethernet cord around where it hooks into my computer it will start acquiring a network address again and will be fine sometimes for a day or other times for five minutes.

I've tried a different NIC and three different cables with no change. I've tried setting the duplex to 100mbs full and that didn't help. I've also had the internet provider come out and they gave me a new modem though they said they couldn't find anything wrong with my original. I'm kinda running out of ideas and this is driving me insane. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Danielle

Advertisements

darwinjames

darwinjames

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am thinking of virus or malware on your system.
most of time hardware is not a problem.
go ahead scan your pc. :)

mike171562

mike171562

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
are you cabled directly to your modem or is there a router? If theres a router try a different port, also maybe check to see if your NIC is seated firmly.

arait

arait

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
is this a cable modem or dsl modem?

If its a cable modem try and check the signal levels by typing 192.168.100.1
Also what is the cable modem doing while the connection drops.

If you have a router, try to bypass the router and connect the modem straight to the computer, just to rule that part out.