Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet Connection With Wireless Card

• Please log in to reply

CollinsLL2

CollinsLL2

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I am trying to set up my computer wirelessly using a linksys wireless router and a linksys wireless g usb wireless card. I have installed the software for the wireless card onto my computer, and i disabled my old internet connection. I have the router hooked up to the modem, but not to another computer. i dont want to share files and printers and all that, i just want to connect to the internet. I can connect to the access point but it keeps sayin "You are connected to the access point but the internet cannot be found" I have tried running the network connection wizard, creating a new connection, and running the wireless network set up wizard, i must be doing something wrong. i cant figure it out. can anybody please help me?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey CollinsLL2,

What type of Internet connection do you have from your ISP (i.e cable, DSL)? Often you need to login to your router and configure the Internet/modem settings, depending on your ISP and type of connection. Have you done this? It sounds like you are connecting to your router fine, just that there's no connection for you to use after that point. If you can provide these details as well as the exact make and model of your modem and router, we may be able to assist you further.

- Dan

AMBorgeson

AMBorgeson

• Pip
  • 7 posts
if you've not logged onto your wireless router directly yet, open up your browser and for your url, enter 192.168.1.1 (some are 192.168.0.1). to my knowledge, these are the 2 most common if not only default IP addresses for routers.

if your wireless connection is working fine, this may prompt you for a username and password. Refer to your uer manual for the default