Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tried to repair XP and it didn't work?

• Please log in to reply

bcasper916

bcasper916

• Pip
  • 3 posts
i recently fell victim to a virus when i absentmindedly downloaded a torrent and didn't scan it for any viruses. So i ran AVG and had many issues and it seemed that Avast couldn't get the virus off my pc. after lots of searching i finally realized that some of the files in Avast were corrupted by the virus so i uninstalled Avast and ran the XP fix and it did fix some of the problems that were caused by the corrupted AV but not all. I reinstalled Avast ran the AV again and this time it fixed the virus problem (i think) but i can't log onto my account unless it's in safe mode. I tried to log on, then a flash of my wallpaper and then immediately logged off saying that it was saving my settings then back to the welcome screen. Same problem in my girlfriends user account as well. I can boot up in safe mode no problem and have attempted to do all of the steps that were outlined in a post on how to repair XP using my XP disk. Well at the last part of the installation now i get two error codes......

C:\windows\system 33\system 32\inetcomm.dll may not have been installed or is corrupted
C:\program files\outlook express\msoe.dll may not have been installed or is corrupted

the question i have is are these two errors the only things that are keeping me from being able to log into my computer or do i have a bigger problem?
the reason for the system 33 is because about 4 months ago we had another virus (not my fault this time) and a friend helped me create system 33 and then just imported files over from system 32. I hope that makes sense as i am fairly noob at things like this but am not totally tech inept. i am running windows xp sp.2 on a dell dimension 4500

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
This issue sounds like the work of mal-ware.
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).