Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Linux Puppy

• Please log in to reply

Grandma Treefrog

Grandma Treefrog

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For all my other programs, there is a good linux program that I can use instead.
I found out I could still use this one, if I use virtualbox..

I understand that setting up the virtualbox can be tricky.
I am only slightly geeky, but got Puppy linux to work. :)

I wonder if someone using windows xp through virtualbox with linux could virtually hold my hand and walk me throught the steps to get the vitural box going.

I think I know how to install Xp, but wonder how it is different than on a regular machine.

oh oh, I just got a computer distress call, so I gotta run.

Hope someone can help,

Grandma Treefrog

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Puppy Linux is typically only good for use as a live CD. The reason for this is the difficulty of installing anything on it.

Most Linux distros come with a package manager that eases installation processes. Puppy Linux has one but last time I used it, it was very limited and also contained very little software choices.

Here are the primary things you will run in to some major problems with:

VirtualBox requires to qt libarary. The qt libarary is very large and will require gcc to compile. It will also require specific libraries of its own. I am an avid Linux user and I cringe of the thought of compiling qt from source without a package manager.

It also requires SDL. Same problems as above.

What I am getting at here is installing these things on Puppy Linux can be hours of work whereas on some distros it can be as simply as typing one of the following into a terminal:

apt-get install virtualbox-ose

emerge virtualbox-ose

yum install virtualbox-ose

zypper install virtualbox-ose

In order the distros for the above commands are: Debian, Gentoo, Red Hat, SUSE. All of these (with the exception of Gentoo which I would never recommend to a new user) have graphical user interfaces for doing the same thing.

In conclusion, use a different distro.

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
mandriva linux has virtualbox in the repositories, it only needs to be enabled in software management,

what are you trying to do ?

are you trying to install xp into a virtual machine ?

what is the program you need windows for ?

are you already using puppy linux ?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try here
HOW TO: Install VirtualBox 1.5.0 under Puppy 2.17 Seamlessly...
See also:
HOWTO: Clone a VirtualBox 1.5.0 Virtual Disk
http://murga-linux.c...pic.php?t=21796

HOWTO: Shrink a VirtualBox 1.5.0 Windows Guest Virtual Disk
http://murga-linux.c...pic.php?t=21797