Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless router help

• Please log in to reply

maddmoh

maddmoh

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi

I have a "Gigaset SE551 WLAN dsl/cable" wireless router in my home at the moment, the problem i face is it that this house is old, and the only working places i can access the internet are at the otherside of the house (to my office). You may suggest to move my office but thats not an option.

What i want to know is if i bought a better router would i get a better signal?

I also am not sure what kind of connection i have, but i do know that i have 10Mb/s download and 1Mb/s upload if plugged into the wall (i use speedtest.net)
If i am in my office i get a 2.58Mb/s download and 0.32Mb/s upload.
My isp is http://www.cablecom.ch/en/index.htm if that helps?

I am obviously looking to increase the speed i get using wireless.

Any further infomation you may need to help me, just ask and i will do my best to find out =] thanks.

Edit: if your unsure of my question (i was when i re-read), if i bought a new router would i get a better connection, and what sort of router would i need to buy, i heard that some routers are for certain connections etc

Edited by maddmoh, 19 May 2009 - 09:49 AM.

Advertisements

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Generally no it won't. Wireless is great but it has limitations. I would assume it is 802.11g which has an effective range of about 300ft. Obviously obstacles in the way and distance will affect it. I believe it operates in the 2.4GHz band so some electrical devices may interfere (some cordless phones microwaves maybe). Ideally you should get around 54Mbps. Deteriorating the farther away you get. How far away are you from the router?

maddmoh

maddmoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I would estimate about 15-20m, and the little wireless thing in the task bar reads 1Mbps, and i'm sure its not my wireless card, as i'm using the wireless elsewhere right now and its 300Mbps.
I was looking at a wireless N router, i was under the impression they have a stronger signal?

Untalented

Untalented

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

I would estimate about 15-20m, and the little wireless thing in the task bar reads 1Mbps, and i'm sure its not my wireless card, as i'm using the wireless elsewhere right now and its 300Mbps.
I was looking at a wireless N router, i was under the impression they have a stronger signal?

I was just going to mention this. If you have a wireless card in your machine that supports 802.11n then yes by switching to a newer router which includes this standard could help for sure as the range on n according to specs is better. The other thing you can do for most wireless routers such as D-Link, Linksys, and Etc. which are for home use is purchase a larger Antenna. Most of the companies sell one you can hookup to these fairly easy.

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Well, yes you can get a 802.11n router. Its the newest wireless technology. I think the range is around 600ft and can get up to 140Mbps which is better than most wired connections although the standards aren't finalized yet. As untalented said though your wireless card must support it or it will just work at whatever rate your card support .

Sorry, I was thinking if you just bought a different brand of router, wasn't thinking the upgrade route.

maddmoh

maddmoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok thanks to both of you, i think i might go ahead and borrow my friends wireless n router for a day or something and see if it would be worth me getting it.