Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer switching off all the time

• Please log in to reply

musntgrumble

musntgrumble

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Currently running

Make : MESH
Model : AMD ATHLON 64 PROCESSOR 3200 2.2GHZ
Operating System : WINDOWS XP
Age of the computer : about 5 years
Memory Total 1.5Gbs

I'm having problems with my computer switching off intermittently. It runs for a while and then switches itself off and restarts. The only thing i have changed recently is that i've installed some extra RAM (1GB) which the computer recognises. I get a fatal error msg on restart which points to the following:

Temp/WER3094.dir00/Mini051809-01.dmp
Temp/WER3094.dir00/sysdata.xml

(the last one was Mini051809-02.dmp) - not sure if this is relevant.

any help appreciated.

Advertisements

kasksan

kasksan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Maybe your RAM is broken? Try run memtest http://www.memtest.org/

EDIT: Also you can try this,

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.
4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.
5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Next time your computer crashed, see if you get bluesceen. If you do, copy errorcode here.

Edited by kasksan, 19 May 2009 - 03:20 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install[/b and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it {b]Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Let's check your memory and make sure there is no issue with it.Donwload memtest86 from the link in my signature below.

Get the file that is named Download - The one you want is "Download - Pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). When it downloads, it will be labeled memtest86+2.11.iso.zip
Unzip the file once you download it. You should have a .iso file in the unzipped directory. It will look like a zip file in some cases but the file name will now be memtest86+2.11.iso

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc in my signature below.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Make sure the bios is set for the cd drive as the first boot device
Put the cd in the cd drive and then boot your computer.

Running the Diagnostic Program:

The basic diagnostic screen has five main sections of relevant information. Three at the top which are labeled, PASS %, TEST %, and TEST #. This will basically show you the total progress of the current test, the overall progress of the diagnostic test, and the test number is currently performing.

On the middle left hand side of the of the program interface there is a “Wall Time” section that will keep track of how long the diagnostic test has been running for. This just gives you an idea if you are not attending the testing process.

The main section to look for is the lower half of the screen which is usually blank. As long as the memory testing is going ok with no errors this section of the screen should remain blank. If the diagnostic program finds any serious faults in the memory you will see it display a memory dump of address’s in this section. This is similar to what is displayed on your screen when you encounter a blue screen of death.

You now have most everything you need to know about setting up and testing your memory with diagnostic programs. This guide should help you get to the source of any intermittent problems related to your memory.

Run memtest for at least 2 hours
If it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the memory
If there are no errors after 2 hours press Esc and that will end the tests
We will then try other options

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Does this happen in safe mode?
Post the WhoChrashed report as said by rshaffer.

Also go to the directory C:\Windows\Minidump
Make sure that hidden files are visible.
Then zip up all the recent files you see there (within a week) and attach the zip archive to your next post.

musntgrumble

musntgrumble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
[quote name='rshaffer61' date='May 19 2009, 10:33 PM' post='1540163']
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install[/b and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it {b]Say Yes

WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

----------------------

I'm having problems downloading WhoCrashed. The link seems to have disappeared.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
It appears their DNS record has expired. I cant seem to find a download link via Google either.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

musntgrumble

musntgrumble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Still having problems with WhoCrashed. I download the Debugger but it gets 97% of the way then crashes.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Then zip up all the recent files you see there (within a week) and attach the zip archive to your next post.

musntgrumble

musntgrumble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

I've tried to zip this files and post them using WinRar but it wont let me upload the files - it says 'you are not permitted to upload this type of file'.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Right click on your desktop, and select New. Then click on Compressed (Zipped) Folder.
Copy the dump files from the Minidump folder, and paste them in the new compressed folder your created. Then attach the Compressed Zipped Folder to your next reply.

musntgrumble

musntgrumble

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Right click on your desktop, and select New. Then click on Compressed (Zipped) Folder.
Copy the dump files from the Minidump folder, and paste them in the new compressed folder your created. Then attach the Compressed Zipped Folder to your next reply.

thanks. Files attached.

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Windows XP is set by default to reboot your computer when it hits a critical error.
For most users I suppose this is a good thing, as no one likes to see the BSOD
But in this case, we actually WANT to see the BSOD because it contains some useful information in diagnosing the problem.
In order to force your computer to show you the BSOD, need to tell it to stop auto restarting on critical errors.

Right-click...My Computer... and then click ...Properties...
Click the ..Advanced tab... Under Startup and Recovery.. click ..Settings...
to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box....
Clear the ..Automatically restart.. check box, and click OK your way out...

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect....

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
All the errors in the dumps indicate some random problem. The dumps point to different things as being the problem. Please check your RAM. Click on "Memtest Instructions" in my sig, and follow the instructions.

Also do what happyrock said.