Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista upgrade mistake I think!

• Please log in to reply

angelbear

angelbear

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Help please!

I'm new to this forum and not very computer literate. I tried to upgrade my XP to Vista. I took my desktop in to a tech about a year ago and it seems like they partitioned the hard drive so I would have an old XP and a new one.
When I tried to upgrade it said that if I continued, I would possibly be unable to access info on one of the OS's. I thought that all of my info would be on Vista anyway so I went ahead.
Once Vista was through loading, none of my files, documents, pics etc. were there!
I can find all of the old info under a file called WINDOWS.OLD but I don't know if I can make it come up in Vista.
So far, I have tried dragging and dropping the WINDOWS.OLD file into the new Program Files in Vista.
Now I am attempting to use the Windows Easy Transfer Wizard. I copied the Wizard onto a flash drive. I'm thinking I can restart the computer in the old XP and load the Wizard (?)
So when I tried to restart the computer to do this, it is installing update 49 of 78 (it has been installing updates for hours already) so I am unable to go any further right now.
I'm going to have to leave it updating overnight so I'm hoping some computer wizard can help me fix my screw ups before it's too late and I have to reformat the whole thing and start over!! I was ready to do this a few days ago because the hard drive was so full and I could not find out why. I discovered oodles and oodles of teenage boy downloads of music and movies etc. and once I deleted them all, I got back half of my space! (never let kids download onto your computer!!!)

Advertisements

kevinf80

kevinf80

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 104 posts
Hi there,

Microsoft has instructions to copy files from Windows.old to Vista after an upgrade installation available Here

Kev...

angelbear

angelbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thank you very much Kevin. This is exactly what I was looking for!!!

angelbear

kevinf80

kevinf80

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 104 posts
Glad to have helped... :)