Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

router issues

• Please log in to reply

needknowledge

needknowledge

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[size="3"]Hello - I hope someone that is very patient can help me. I am all new to trying to hook up my new laptop, desktop, and printer. Someone at work tells me I need a router to do this and I told him I am using Alltel Huawei EC168 Wireless Internet card for service. He does a little research and comes up with a Netgear MBR624GU. So I jumped at his advice and ordered it. Well from there on out it gets ugly and very frustrating. (Especially since I'm basically a computer virgin) So I go to install it and get a message "USB not compatible). Sure as s&*t, not listed on the compatibility chart. I had ordered this router through ANTonline.com and of course they wouldn't accept a return since I had opened the box already. So I'm stuck with a brand new $110 router. So from here I start doing a little research myself and it looks like my only options for the Huawei are: Cradlepoint MBR1000 / CTR500 or Cyfre 3G.

Your probably saying "come on lady - get to the point." Ok so my first question is : Is there a way to get the Netgear router work? (Maybe somekind of application or download?) Because Netgear does list a Huawei compatibility for some other country - I was thinking maybe it was like Austrilia.

If the answer to the above question is "NO", then my second question would be which cradlepoint or Cyfre router should I go with next?

I hope someone can find a answer for me, cause I've about had it with all this time involved researching things I know absolutely nothing about.

Thanks alot any help is better than no help. And I can't be any worse off than I already am.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
For better answers you should post this in the Networking section :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
also post your computer name and model number...same for the router you bought...