Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless router keeps resetting

• Please log in to reply

Lisa-Marie

Lisa-Marie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello :)

The problem I'm having is that when I start up my laptop, our wireless router resets and the connection will then say 'local only' for about 5-10 minutes until it finally reconnects. This doesn't happen to any of the other computers/laptops in my household.

My router is THOMSON ST585v6sl, we are on AOL wireless broadband and I am using Vista. My Laptop is Acer Aspire 5720.

Thank you very much!

Lisa

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Lisa -- welcome to G2G :)

Is your laptop the only machine that uses Vista on your network? Please try the following.

Step 1 - Disable IPv6:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type ncpa.cpl and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
  • In the new window, right-click on your Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
  • In the This connection uses the following items section, remove the tick beside (i.e. disable) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then press OK.
Step 2 - Ensure Network Discovery is disabled:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type network and then select Network and Sharing Center
  • In the new window, under the Sharing and Discovery section, ensure that Network Discovery is turned OFF.
  • If it is not, press the down arrow and then select Turn off network discovery.
Restart your laptop and see if the issue still occurs; does your router still reset itself?

- Dan

Lisa-Marie

Lisa-Marie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Dan,

I did everything you said and now I have no problem with the connection :)

Thank you very much!

Lisa

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
That's great to hear :) I'm glad we were able to help. Thanks for taking the time to post how your issue(s) were resolved; feedback is always appreciated. :)

- Dan