Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is this a virus problem?

• Please log in to reply

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
this is a question for my dad. His computer is acting up, his computer is sending out emails to everyone on his msn list. so he started running some scans to try and get rid of any viruses... then his computer froze up. he tried to reboot it, when he puts his password in, a screen comes up saying he has to register this version of windows with microsoft. he tried clicking yes.. clicking no.. whatever he clicks it says.. this is already registered then just reboots... we tried going into safemode and doing a system restore to an earlier setting.. the same thing happens.. is there anything i can do to help him? thank you

Advertisements

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
well shortly after posting this... i also got something weird with my computer. i turn it on, it boots up to a screen u can choose safemode to normal.. no matter what u choose.. i tried them all, it flashes to a blue screen very fast so you cant read what it is, then reboots, does this continuously... right now im on a friends computer,.. this is frustrating because i purchased mcaffee antivirus.. and .. well i know its not very popular but its always been good to me lol.. idk if this is a virus problem too or not.. does anyone have any suggestions? thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
Click Enter to disable it
The system should reboot and if not then do so.
When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As far as your dad's system i believe there is an active infection. You may have gotten the same infection but doing the BSOD suggestion I made should help us determine the problem with yours better. As far as your dad's system:

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

canadianchicklet

canadianchicklet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
sorry this reply took so long.. i cant get to computer as easy.. i will try those suggestion.. thanks ill keep u posted

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and I will continue to monitor this topic for your reply.