Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nVidia 8800 GTX driver fails after Windows Update! Code 43

• Please log in to reply

Lindum52

Lindum52

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everybody,

Having used my Dell M1730 laptop for a year with great results, I installed the Windows Updates suggested by Microsoft. When I came to reboot, howver, the nVidia graphics drivers for the 8800m GTX cards had been stopped by the system because of a reported problem (Code 43). I didn't initially link this due to the updates, and assumed the system had a problem that would be easily resolved.

I tried enabling the drivers, but then noticed nVidia Control Panel was missing from Programs and Control Panel. I tried reinstalling drivers, updating to the most recent versions... nothing. I tried Driver Cleaner... nothing. It was telling me the two cards were there, and that the driver was installed, but it could not start it.

Anyway, I tried a clean installation of windows from the Dell Recovery Partition, as it was time for a clean out anyway. The problem was still there. I then reinstalled a backup I'd done two months ago, and all was fixed. It was not until I decded to update my system again, that the problem came back. I now know what is causing it - Windows Update - but I do not know which one? I installed 10, mostly definitions and the malicious software removal tool (May 2009).

Has anybody any suggestions or experience with this problem? I bought this machine for its 3D and 2D power, and it cost me £2500! Its now 3 weeks out of warranty period - typical!

Advertisements

solid bop

solid bop

• Pip
  • 1 posts
im having the same problem since the windows update and i didnt know what to do at all... untill i readed your post. all i could do was go back to a backup point from like a half month ago... i finally got my nvidia control panel back... but.. as long as i run my games with SLI deactivated, everything goes well.. but as soon as i activate my SLI again in the nvidia control panel and restart my comp. the problem is back again... i cant go further back because i dont have an older back up :)
im also using a dell m1730 with 2x8800 SLI. so now im running everything with SLI disabled....... i dont like it at all, my games still run fine though, but it sucks because i know it should work better with SLI activated. hope there will be a fix for this soon... i also disabled the auto-windows update thing to prevent getting the new updates again and being stuck with the same problem. i've also readed pretty much other comments on forums from people with nvidia cards who seem to have the same problem since the windows update no comments on how to solve it though... goodluck, we need it :)

Edit: hm i just found out you wrote this comment on 22may, i have my laptop for like a year now too, i dont remember having that problem around the time you downloaded the update in may... i never had the problem back then, just now.. weird.

Edited by solid bop, 09 September 2009 - 03:13 AM.

Spainman

Spainman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just got it on my 8800 gts - am trying system restore now - will keep you informed as to progress

Jules Nijst

Jules Nijst

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell 1730 M with 2 x 8800 GTX.
However I did not update any drivers since 1 1/2 years and the last month I did not have Internet and so have not updated any Microsoft software.
I do not overclock my laptop and now it has crashed in the middle of a game...

This makes me think that it has little to do with drivers or updates, but more a hardware problem. Why would it otherwise brake down when no drivers or updates were done? OK others had their cards fail immediatly after a Microsoft update, which seems to point in a different direction.

I sometimes think that Nvidea thinks, all these guys that buy into high technology first, we'll put a physical limit on its time. This because a see a flurry of emails about 8800 cards down with code 43 all turning up lately. That way we would buy new, and they make more money...

I have yet to contact Dell and see what solution they suggest.

Also no Nvidea control panel, I also had SLI enabled, I also never had a problem until now (one month after the last M$ update). This is just happening to too many NVidea cards right now.

Complaining is no use, if anything write to a Magazine about poor quality software/hardware. At least I have not read anything from NVidea about a solution
I did not want to complain about NVidea, but there are just too many code 43 problems.
Is any of the majors - M$ or Nvidea - looking into this ?
I'll try backing up to a long time ago and see if I get it back (with SLI disabled)

Jules