Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports not working

• Please log in to reply

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop. I recently had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows. Now it appears my usb ports are not working. When I plug in my jump drive and go to my computer, the drive is not listed. Also, after formating and reinstalling windows it takes a ridiculously long time for windows to start up. I am pretty computer illiterate when it comes to this sort of thing so help would be appreciated. I do have all the original installation disks that came with the computer but I can't seem to figure out how to fix this problem.

Thank you

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Are your optical (DVD/CD) drives working?
There is a Windows update that some times goes wrong.
Try this fix.
Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

camandkarmasmom

camandkarmasmom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok, well, here's the new problem. I read elsewhere to go into the device manager, delete all the usb universal host controllers and then restart and they will reinstall themselves. I did that and tried restarting and it does find new hardware but then it just stalls and freezes the whole computer and now I can't do anything.
But in response to your question about the cd drive - yes it is working.