Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Server problems running XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

integraoligist

integraoligist

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello all, new to the forum and need some serious help...

Heres and overview of my situation. Business running 5 PC's, 1 is the server. Every now and again the whole network slows down super slow, then after a few minutes goes back to normal... sometimes PC's lose connection to the Server all togeather then a few minutes later works fine.
Server motherboard went down a couple weeks ago and I replaced it with a new Gigbyte board with 4gig of RAM, I could not format and start from scratch, I had to just update the drivers and everything because I do not have the Install file for the POS Program we use.
I also thought maybe it was the network cables or the Switch, so I replaced all the network cables and got a Gigbyte switch... all PC's are running at 1 gig network speed.

Now the only thing i can think of is maybe the server is having issues, so here is a list of the processes and what I have found on them:

------------------

searchprotocolhost.exe “Microsoft Windows desktop search process”, I do not use Windows Search functions so I can remove this?
Searchfilterhost.exe “Microsoft Windows desktop search process”, I do not use Windows Search functions so I can remove this?
Taskmgr.exe needed windows file
Wmiprvse.exe “Windows Management Instrumentation” not sure if I need this?
Apcsystray.exe Program for the APC Battery backup the PC is plugged into.
Dtcallid.exe Part of POS Program: must keep
Diamondspool.exe Part of POS Program: must keep
Active-charge.exe Part of POS Program: must keep
Elodkmon.exe For the Touch screen monitor
Symlcsvc.exe Seems to be associated with Norton Antivirus (which was uninstalled 3 years ago) How do I remove?
Lmiguardian.exe Part of “Logmein” program, I use LogMeIn frequently
Logmein.exe Part of “Logmein” program, I use LogMeIn frequently
Explorer.exe Part of Windows
Ramaint.exe Says it’s associated with “RemotelyAnywhere” program, which I do not have… not sure if it’s associated with Logmein?
Essvr.exe I think it has something to do with the Gigabyte brand motherboard I have? Not sure what to do with it?
Elosrvce.exe For the Touch screen monitor
Dphost.exe Part of POS Program: must keep
Mainserv.exe Program for the APC Battery backup the PC is plugged into.
Svchost.exe Part of Windows
Igfxsrvc.exe “Intel graphics video card user interface process.” I use the onboard video on the Gigabyte motherboard… not sure if this is for that or not?
Ctfmon.exe Says it’s for “Microsoft Office” but I do not have Office on here… do I remove this?
Spoolsv.exe "Spooler SubSystem App" I’m guessing I need this to print?
Alg.exe Part of Windows?
Svchost.exe
Rthdcpl.exe For “Realtek Audio” which I do not use the Sound on this PC, how to remove?
Lmiguardian.exe Part of LogMeIn program
Svchost.exe
Svchost.exe
logmeinsystray.exe Part of LogMeIn program
Svchost.exe
Svchost.exe
Vttimer.exe “S3 Screen Toys graphics systray process” do I need this?
Isass.exe Part of Windows?
Igfxpers.exe For the Graphics Icon in the system tray, can I remove this?
Services.exe Part of Windows
Winlogon.exe Part of Windows?
Hkcmd.exe Some type of “hotkey” program from Microsoft, I do not use, how do you remove?
Csrss.exe “Client Server Runtime Server Subsystem” don’t know what this is?
Smss.exe Part of Windows
Svchost.exe
Searchindexer.exe This is a “search indexer” for the desktop, I do not use the Search feature in Windows so I assume I can remove this?
System Part of Windows
System idle process Part of Windows

----------------------

Could something here be causeing this?

I was also thinking of using "PC Tune-up" to clean up the registry... not sure if that will do anything or even if that program is any good?

Or what else can I do?

Thanks all for the help!

Edited by integraoligist, 22 May 2009 - 07:39 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Do not use Pc-Tune Up, it will probably make things worse.
What version of Windows XP is on the server? XP Home?
XP Home has a limitation to the number of current connections it can take, whereas this isn't an issue in XP Professional.

integraoligist

integraoligist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The Server and all the other PCs are running XP Pro Sp3 with all the updates.

And ok, i wont put PC-Tune-Up on any of them.

integraoligist

integraoligist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok, what I have done so far is uninstall Windows Search 4.0 from all PC's... and turned OFF Indexing of the HDD's on all PC's and Disabled the Indexing Service on all HDD's.

So, tonight 1 of the stations connected to the server decided to lose connection to the server and throw up the Abort/Retry message again... so i jumped on that PC and the Server and looked up the Errors in the Event Viewer for that time (which was 6:23pm) and nothing... nothing on either of the machines.

Whats odd now is, only that PC did it and not all the others, usually they all lose connection and have to abort and restart the program.

Thoughts?