Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Composite to VGA?

• Please log in to reply

sailors1112

sailors1112

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

You guys are great. I thought I'd drop in again since you were so good at solving my last problem.

I am looking for a way to play my console games (Wii, PS2, Xbox 360, etc) through the monitor and speakers of my computer.

I've done a little research, and I've gathered that Composite signal is generally incompatible with monitors (VGA). It requires more than just a simple cable(?). I have an S-Video to composite cable, which I've used to connect my computer to my TV with great success, but I realize that that won't help me here.

I'm looking for an easy, inexpensive way to connect my console games to my computer, instead of using a TV. There seems to be tons of different adapters out there, but some are old and some don't have any reviews. Is there one that you guys have used and recommend?

Also, is there another way other than an expensive all-in-one adapter? Could you do the video and the audio separately to make it cheaper?

My PC has a standard Dell monitor and speakers. The graphics cards I am running is a Gforce 6800 by Nvidia. I don't wanna fry anything by hooking something up wrong or buying the wrong product.

Here are some pictures of the back of my monitor and PC, since I don't know the names of all the ports:

Any help you can be with this is much appreciated.
Thank you!

Edited by sailors1112, 23 May 2009 - 10:47 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I think, first, you should edit your post above and remove the images - they are really of no help, and being so large, the dial-up users will suffer needlessly.

Unfortunately, the information we need is missing. There is no such thing as a "standard Dell monitor" - I counted 37 Dell branded models currently being offered on the Dell website, so over the years, there probably has been more than 100. We need the exact , and full model number of the monitor. This will tell us the type connections your monitor supports. Understand you may not be able to view your game console on the computer monitor if the proper connections are not supported.

You will also need to tell us the exact model number of the computer as that will tell us what audio connections the computer supports.

sailors1112

sailors1112

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The system I'm running is a modified XPS/Dimension 400/9150. The monitor is listed as "CC299 Display,Flat Panel Display,19 1907FPC,Midnight Gray,Dell Americas Organization" The model number on the back says 1907 FPt.

Some of the XPS400 models had an optional TV Tuner upgrade, but I don't have that.

My monitor does have the analog audio plug in the back.

I hope that's what you need. If not, please direct me to where I can find the right information.

Thanks!

sailors1112

sailors1112

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm not sure if we're supposed to bump these threads or not... but it's been a week and I think I may have gotten lost in the shuffle ^^;

Thanks again

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I'm not sure if we're supposed to bump these threads or not... but it's been a week and I think I may have gotten lost in the shuffle ^^;

Thanks again

Sorry - I did not see a notice of your previous reply.

I understand what you are trying to do now - and it's not going to work - at least not easily. Understand that computer monitors typically expect to be connected to one, maybe two video sources - not four as you want. TVs on the other hand, are frequently configured to accept many sources - cable, antenna, composite, component, multiple HDMI, multiple DVI, and more. It would be easier to run your computer and all your game consoles through a TV rather than your computer monitor. If this is the bottom view of your monitor, you don't have the necessary connections to support more than 1 digital input - and that is needed for your graphics card. Graphics cards don't have video inputs - only outputs so you can't use the graphics card.

Your on-board sound does support a line in, but only in stereo - and then you could not use 5.1 speakers with the computer. You would have to come from the audio out of your game console to the line in on the sound board to get sound out of the computer speakers. Then disconnect to make room for the next game console. Too messy for me. Getting a TV to use as a computer monitor is much easier than using a computer monitor for all your home entertainment.