Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

bosredsox1992

bosredsox1992

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Recently after logging in and before I get to the desktop, I started getting a window saying Windows needs to be activated. I have two choices "activate now or activate later". Activate now wants me to enter a product key (bought from BEST BUY out of warranty and have no disks of reg keys)buy a product key or contact HP. I contacted HP after hours with them they said it was a Microsoft problem. Microsoft says it mat be a virus. My virus protection no longer activates. I can not perform any windows updates.

Can you help? or at least point me in the right direction.

Steve D.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The product key should be stuck to the machine somewhere. That's what it looks for.
Quite why it's now decided it wants activation is anybody's guess but its not the first time Vista's just suddenly decided one day it wants re-activation for no apparent reason.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
If Microsoft thinks it's a virus, and you can't operate your antivirus - I'd have to suspect an infection.
Post over in the malware forums for assistance in removing the virus(s): http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html
If, after it's been cleaned, you still can't activate - post back here and we'll work on it with you.