Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to re-install Office Home and Student 2007

• Please log in to reply

Selena Nichols

Selena Nichols

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello all,

System:
Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

HP Compaq dc5700 Microtower
Pentium D CPU 3.40GHz

I just completed a three-day journey to get some nasty virus off of my system. Prior to finding GeeksToGo I attempted to fix the issue myself with one of my actions being a re-install of my Windows XP SP2. Since then I have been unable to access any Windows Office files.

I get a pop-up (when trying to launch Word, for example) which says "Preparing to Install" followed immediately by an error box entitled "Problem with Shortcut" and says "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correct installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of Windows Installer for my machine (WindowsXP-KB942288-V3-86.exe) which I got directly from Microsoft's site and rebooted my system. The same error persists when trying to launch Word. When I try to re-install Office I get a vague error "Microsoft Office Hime and Student 2007 encountered an error during setup."

Any thoughts on what I should try now?

Thanks,

Selena

Edited by Selena Nichols, 23 May 2009 - 08:31 PM.

Advertisements

alexpanda

alexpanda

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Actually yes.
I had a similar problem about 6 months ago. If your copy of the OS and the Office software are legal, call Microsoft. Their telephone tech support is free and was awesome for me. I couldn't believe it but I guess that's why we pay hundreds of dollars for a package like that.
They really were very good.

The contact methods are hard to find on their site though
Go to this link and click the top one and you should find a phone number for your area.
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/8753

Edited by alexpanda, 28 May 2009 - 07:33 AM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
I concur, Office support helped me out on a lab system that for some reason just did NOT want to install Office 2007 (UK has a site license for it). They were QUITE helpful.