Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after failed Bios update on Acer Aspire T180

• Please log in to reply

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I do hope someone can help. I've recently added 2gb of ram to my Acer Aspire t180. It was running quite slow so, I followed some advice and tried to update the Bios using winflash from this website http://support.acer-...wnloads_gd.html. Unfortunately, when I ran the prgoramme (after doing the suggested bios backup) I got an error message saying it was protected or something similar. I clicked all the okays to get out the the programme and all was fine. However, now That I have restarted the computer, I get hooked up on the "verifying DMI Data Pool" message and that's it. I've tried resetting everything to default position but nothing happens. I suspect I have knackered the motherboard but I would appreciate any help you can give including 1) if it is the mobo, where can I get a new and possibly better one from? 2) is it just a matter of replacing the bios chip? 3) if not, how do i fix things? Really grateful for any advice you can give. I'm currently running a dell latitude d600 with a knackered screen through my Acer monitor and it's just weird!!

Edited by malcolmlusby, 24 May 2009 - 07:32 AM.

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
http://www.duxcw.com...mputer/dmi.html
Try the steps there.

Also try waiting for about an hour or 2 for the process to complete. If you don't get an error along with the "Verifying DMI Data Pool" then try the waiting process.

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks edge. I have tried both but to no avail. Hoever, I haven't cleared CMOS yet as I don't know how to do that :-( anything else I can try?

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay I figured out how to reset CMOS and I returned the settings to factory default - problem persists, I take it I'm screwed?

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Not completely screwed yet.
Every BIOS contains a boot-block. It is a section of the BIOS that allows it to boot from a floppy or CD, even if a flash was defective. This section can be erased, but only if you use advanced parameters with your flasher.
Download the latest version of your BIOS from here: http://support.acer-...wnloads_gd.html
Unzip the folder, and then download Uniflash from here: http://www.softpedia...nload-1351.html

Next, create a floppy boot disc: http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm
Copy the .bin file from the BIOS unzipped folder, and put it on the floppy.
Put all the files that were in the Uniflash folder into your floppy.
Your MS-DOS boot floppy should have an autoexec.bat file in it.
Open that up with Notepad.
Put this line in there:
A:uniflash.exe 61AO615.BIN

Now boot up your computer with the boot floppy. If a flashing process doesn't start in about 5 minutes type in the line in the code box at the A: prompt.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here..download the following file: rc.iso....then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot

nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd

Reboot

Edited by happyrock, 26 May 2009 - 09:12 AM.

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
hey guys, many thanks. Edge, I don't have floppy disk drive :) can I do it with CD (I bought the Acer Aspire refurbished and it did not come with an xp disk).

happyrock, I've got everything downloaded (icluding the rc.iso file which saves as an i386 folder) but I can't find the iso file (any iso file!) you are talking about. I can see chkdsk, but do I need to run that on this computer (the one that is working) or the Aspire with the bios problem? Sorry if I am being silly - I just don't want end up ruining my only working computer!!

Edited by malcolmlusby, 26 May 2009 - 11:43 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on the link in my previous post ...it will take you to the download link for rc.iso...
download and burn it on the computer thats working...BUT remember anything we want you to try ...means doing it on the misbehaving computer...

:) you can also try them on the dog or cat if you think you can get them to play along... :)

Edited by happyrock, 26 May 2009 - 04:30 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Since you can boot into a MS-DOS environment using the RS.iso, just copy the BIOS files (flasher and .bin file) to the root of the disc. Then at the D: (your CD-drive) prompt, type in
D:uniflash.exe 61AO615.BIN

Try happyrock's advice before you try reflashing the BIOS though.

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

click on the link in my previous post ...it will take you to the download link for rc.iso...
download and burn it on the computer thats working...BUT remember anything we want you to try ...means doing it on the misbehaving computer...

:) you can also try them on the dog or cat if you think you can get them to play along... :)

Thanks Happyrock. I've downloaded the rc.iso file - the problem is when I unzip it (using both winrar and winzip) there is no .iso file in the folder (there are a bunch of other files including "chkdsk" but no .iso file). I can burn everything else to disk no problems, but I just can't find the .iso file. Winrar was returning a "file is corrupt or not supported" error message when I first tried to unzip the rc.iso file after download. Winzip opens it fine, but no .iso file.

I've downloaded it on my work computer - but I work for the government so my computer is heavily restricted and I can't unzip it to extract the .iso file and send it to my home account. I've forwarded the whole download and I'll see if there is any luck when I get home. Am I just being a complete tool? i.e. is it the actual rc.iso folder (which downloads as i386) that I need to burn to disk? or a specific file called "rc.iso"? Sorry if I am being dumb, but I wouldn't be here if I wasn't

Edited by malcolmlusby, 27 May 2009 - 02:34 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
RC.ISO should not even come as a zipped file...it should show up as rc.iso ...NOT AS... RC.ISO.ZIP

for the future though...go here and get justzipit....this tool is how all zip and unzip tools should work...quick and painless ...I use it for everything but RAR files

Edited by happyrock, 27 May 2009 - 05:49 AM.

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I suspect I have done something wrong then. I'll recheck from home and I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the tip on justzipit.

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay something bigger is a problem I think. I've got the rc.iso file on disk, but the CD drive won't boot it. there is no sound from the cd drive like you would expect, just the green light flashes for a few seconds. i've checked the connections and they are fine.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Are you sure you burned it to a disc properly. Not as a data disc, but as burning the image to a disc.
The "zipped" file issue happens when .iso files are associated with Winrar.

If you are sure that the CD is burned properly, try these tips: https://help.ubuntu....nity/BootFromCD
The program is different, but the concept of booting from a disc is the same.

malcolmlusby

malcolmlusby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
thanks edge. To be honest I am not sure. It registers on my computer as "recovery disk" but when you explore it, you get an i386 folder and 2 oter files. I burned it to disk using burncdcc as suggested by happyrock and disassociated the iso file from winrar when downloading(which was causing the zipped problem). When I do an auto detect in bios, I don't think my cdrom is being detected :-( But I'll try your other suggestions tonight when I get home from work and see how we go. Many thanks for all your guys help on this - even if we are drifting toward the inevitable which is that I probably need a new mobo...:-(