Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Selling my desktop and buying a laptop

• Please log in to reply

ThreshersFlail

ThreshersFlail

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, I will be moving to Australia for up to a year and was thinking of selling my desktop to buy a laptop. I was hoping that you guys could give me some advice on what it was worth and what to buy.

What I have:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz E6750
4GB of DDR RAM (533MHz I think)
MSI motherboard - MS-7357
nVidia 8600GT Graphics Card with 512Mb on-board memory
Two 300Gb WD Caviar HDDs at 7200rpm (I think) - Do I sell these with it, or destroy them to prevent anyone possibly recovering my files? It has Windows Vista Home Premium installed.
A DVDRW Drive and a CDRW drive
Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse
17 Inch Hyundai monitor

Here's the laptop I was thinking of:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/158887

I will want it for the usual plus some gaming. I don't get all the latest games (especially since I will be going to Oz) and the most recent one I have is probably Farcry 2. If you think a lower spec that would do for my needs, that would be great! £410 would be my upper price limit.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to read this far :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey mate, Australia is a good choice. :)

You are allowed desktops here in Australia? :)

ThreshersFlail

ThreshersFlail

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I did think I was allowed them, I just wasn't sure if it was sensible to try and transport it out there! I know what luggage loading staff are like...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That HP doesn't look too bad, actually... the graphics are very budget though. You won't get much good gaming at all out of it.