Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista suddenly freezing

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I used the ISO, because I have no floppy drive. when I run it, I choose option 1 (both SCSI and ATA support,) then when I choose any of the 4 options, nothing happens. the last two lines are

"Loading DFT...
DPMI error (4009): bad swich parameter"

I'm going to try the options under the ATA only section
EDIT: no options under ATA support, it just runs when selected

Edited by WhydoIask?, 25 May 2009 - 01:10 PM.

Advertisements

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Okay, when the computer freezes, if I press CTRL+ALT+DEL, after about 5-10 minutes the "Failure - Security Options" message appears. the title says "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog." is this just a symptom of the computer slowing down?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Unfortunately, I've never seen "Failure - Security Options" error before, and Google doesn't reveal much about it.
There some hits about "Loading DFT" error, while using Hitachi tool, but again no solution.

I'm not sure what to advice you at this moment.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Yes, my search for the DFT error returned another thread from a different forum having the same error with an hp laptop. (mine is HP, too) Unfortunately, the people respoding weren't too helpful.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
After uninstalling PowerISO and DAEMON Tools, the problem seems to have been resolved. My computer hasn't froze in an entire hour. I will post an update after I reinstall DAEMON Tools.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Very well then :)

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Okay, big problems now. I get a BSoD when I boot up my computer. the technical info is:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190444, 0x87B50420, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I can't load in safe mode or anything else.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
you know what, I'll make a new post

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
A STOP 0x24 (shorthand for the error you mentioned above) is an error in the NTFS file system.

The first step to attempt to correct it is to run "chkdsk /r" from the command prompt. It'll tell you it can't run right now, and will ask if you want to schedule it for the next reboot. Answer Y (for Yes) and then reboot. Let the test run until it boots back into Windows (may take a couple of hours depending on the size and condition of your hard drive).

If that doesn't fix it, then I'd suggest a bootable hard drive diagnostic available from the manufacturer of your hard drive. This'll tell you if the hard drive is failing. One of the symptoms of a slowly failing hard drive is the freezing/slowdown of the system - because the error correcting mechanisms built into Windows have to repeatedly check the hard drive reads for corruption.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Okay, but believe it or not, system restore worked. turns out "repair your system" was one of the options after I got the BSoD. I installed vista SP2 and it's working fine now. I have no idea how that happened.

And I wouldn't be able to get to the command prompt anyway. Like I said, the BSoD happened BEFORE I can load anything.

Advertisements

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
If you ran Startup Repair (Repair your computer), then it ran chkdsk /r and repaired the issue.

Sometimes stuff (NTFS corruption) just happens - and once it's fixed there are no further problems.

But I'd suggest backing up your stuff - just in case the drive is in the early stages of failing, and then run a hard drive diagnostic to reassure yourself that it's not failing.

Edited by usasma, 27 May 2009 - 06:21 PM.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
well, the BSoD has been fixed, but my computer is still a lot slower than usual. my main account will freeze up after a few hours. The SP2 install reset the visual effects of my main account to nothing, and set the theme to windows basic, but this doesn't help. My guest account had nothing changed (all visual effects enabled, with windows Aero theme,) and is actually running faster and better than my main account. The only extra programs running at startup are a screen locker, google talk, and microsoft encarta dictionary.

usasma

usasma

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried creating a new adminstrator profile and seeing if it works properly?
If so, then it's likely that your profile has become corrupted. The "fix" for this is to move your data over to the new profile and use it.