Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Birthday Present

• Please log in to reply

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Hello Everyone!!

I figured that since I got a really cool Birthday Present that I would share it with everyone. It has taken me about a year to pick the right Television to replace my aging JVC 20" Flat Screen SDTV. I bought this TV with my birthday money.

With the help of my parents, I have now replaced the old JVC with the TV below, which has been photographed and sized at 640x480 - It is a Dynex 26" LCD HDTV - specs HERE

Here she is in my living room:

Posted Image

The Movie I am running is Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn.

How do you like it??

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 25 May 2009 - 06:17 AM.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
looking good :) Did you get a HD channel package deal from your cable provider? Ever since I got my HD package that’s all I really watch.... very rarely do I watch the regular channels anymore.

HD is the way to go

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
HD is indeed the way to go.. Regular channels just aren't fun anymore :)

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

looking good :) Did you get a HD channel package deal from your cable provider? Ever since I got my HD package that’s all I really watch.... very rarely do I watch the regular channels anymore.

HD is the way to go

BHowett:

I Agree with you!! :)

No, not yet, but I did do some research into getting the HD package, which would probably mean that I would need a HDMI Port/Switch in case I want to upgrade to a BlueRay Player. or something that requires HDMI - I only have 2 ports for that. I am seriously considering the upgrade, as I have seen my parents' HD TV's and WOW, what a difference - I just don't wanna have to spend $400 for the HDMI port, which is similar to a 4 port USB Hub - but it seems that some of them are not as compatible as others with equipment, and I have looked online at bestbuy and see them start at ~$50 and go to ~$400.

I probably will go HD, but I wanna have a friend come in and look at a couple things first :)

I LOVE my movies now that I can do widescreen - Do you think a Bluray player is a good investment??

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 25 May 2009 - 01:21 PM.

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

HD is indeed the way to go.. Regular channels just aren't fun anymore :)

For some reason, I can see this newer TV better without my glasses, and it seems that HD is clearer - The only thing is that I would need a separate converter box in addition to my DVR Cable Box to get the HD channels. My Parents have the HD box, but they don't have the DVR - and I like that, so I will have to have 2 boxes.....No biggie :)

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 25 May 2009 - 01:19 PM.

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Lol, my TV is better. :)

Edited by tyler kick you fase, 25 May 2009 - 06:06 PM.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Lol, my TV is better. :)

WOW

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
OK: I found out that since I had Standard DVR Service that all I needed was an upgrade to an HD-DVR Box. I also don't have to pay the $30.00 that they were telling me that I was going to have to pay to install the box - They waived this, and said that the person that I spoke with the first time must have thought that I didn't have Standard DVR service, but they said since I did, that it would NOT cost me any more then $5.00 for the upgrade.

This morning, Charter removed the Standard DVR box, and replaced it with a HD-DVR Box, and I now have all the HD channels they offer, as well as the standard Def channels, so I am all set :)

Brian

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
good deal, I thought it sounded a bit much at first. So how are you liking the HD channels?

**Brian**

**Brian**

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

good deal, I thought it sounded a bit much at first. So how are you liking the HD channels?

LOVE Them - Its like being in a theatre when you watch TV hehehehee :) (I am watching the Red Sox On New England Sports Network HD)

Brian

Edited by **Brian**, 28 May 2009 - 01:18 PM.

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Watching sports in HD is fantastic! It's like you're at the game I love it.

tyler kick you fase

tyler kick you fase

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
You should try comparing regular TV with HD TV, you will see a big difference.
Also on most newer TV’s, they have a computer monitor slot.