Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer screen problem

• Please log in to reply

antonio.bernini

antonio.bernini

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I saw your previous add and I would like to see if you can maybe help me.

I installed a software the other day ( it is a big one that takes 1gb of space called arcgis, something like matlab). I was running out of space but i needed that software and so i went on.
After that the computer slowed down and the day after I had this probelem:

WHEN I TURN ON THE LAPTOP THE INITIAL ACER SIGN IS BLIKING FOR SOME SECONGD AND THEN I SEE ON THE SCREEN A MATRIX OF LETTERS FOR A WHILE (SOME OF THEM ARE GREEN, WHITE AND PURPLE), after a while the screen becomes all black and I cannot do anything else than switching off.

Do you have any idea?

I repeat the computer was working fine and i had problems only one day after installing that software. I mean the software was working eventhough slowly for that day. That day in the evening I had troubles with it and it gave me an error like "bad error to your computer or something like that"

Could it be that there is not enough memory?

I am sorry for the long email but I thought that more information I put and the better.

Thanks in advance
Antonio

Welcome to geeks to go

I will try to help you.
To recap and understand the problem, the only thing you get immediately after pushing the power button is the black screen and cursor?

That means you are not getting the bios (basic input output screen). This is what tells the computer how to start. Since this is embedded in memory on the board, I would fust suspect a main board problem.

Do you feel comfortable in removing the side to the computer (assuming this is a desktop)?
If so, lets reset the bios by removing the battery. Remove the power from the unit.
The battery is small and circular like a watch battery. carefully remove it paying attention to how it came out. leave out for about 5 mins.
Place it back in and see what happens.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the quote you used is from Jan 23 2009...did you have another topic open with this same problem back then...if so copy and paste the link in your reply here