Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS Not Found

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No Hard Drive is not a good sign.
That tells me that your HD has probably died.
IS there a little sticker on the bottom of the laptop with a registration number and what version of windows is suppose to be on the system?
If so then all you need is a OS disk of the same type and you would have to purchase a new hd to load it on.

Advertisements

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The only sticker is the Service Tag and Express Service Code..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is not good either. this means you will have to purchase a windows so you have a Registration number to install.

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
How hard is that to do?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could contact the manufacturer of the laptop and see if they can sell you a recovery cd for your system. That would include the OS and all the drivers. Usually they charge about 30 to 40 dollars for one.
That would be the less expensive way to go for that.
The hard drive itself you will have to purchase a new one which depending on the capacity you want will dictate the price you pay.

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So, there's no way to recover my hard drive?.. I would have to buy a new one and a recovery CD?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try the following but if the HD is in deed dead or dying this may not work. This hopefully will allow you to backup your data so that you don't lose it.
Also you said you have the recovery cd so what you need is a registration number to reinstall your OS system.

Please try the following and let me know if it works for you:

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, thanks.. I will try this.. Also..I think I found my registration sticker.. Does it say "Product Key"??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes Product Key is the same. It should be 20 characters long and now that you have that you can contact the manufacturer and get a new recovery cd. Usually runs about 30 to 40 dollars. Then you will have the OS and all the drivers needed on the one disk to reload your system.

rubbermaid

rubbermaid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Will I need to buy a new hard drive..? if not.. Will all my information still be on there?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
that depends on if Puppy linux can access the drive or not. If not then you will have to purchase a new HD and most likely the data will be lost.
The only other way to retrieve it is to have a professional service get it for you and they are very expensive.