Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Account problem

• Please log in to reply

atlantica

atlantica

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
:)

I rebooted my computer the other day, and when i got on my account, all my files on the desktop were gone. Only the icons for all users were still there. I went to the start menua, it had no history of programs i had recently used before the reboot. I checked the acount files and figured out that my stuff is still there, but it's not the right account. I have an acount that is admin and no other acount is in use, before the reboot, and same for after the reboot. My files that vanished are now in the owners files....But i am the owner! :) Note: I added some files to the new desktop, and when i rebooted the secound time, they were gone. It went back to al the default icons. I have only one acount in use. Please help me.

-----------------------------------------
I have xp home edition service pack 3
Emachines computer
-----------------------------------------

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi atlantica...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
did you try system restore...
did you update anything including windows just prior to the problem starting...
add any new hardware or update any drivers recently...

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I used Visual basic and i had bittorrent downloading movies and than i was converting them at the same time.
I changed the theme of my computer using styler.
Other than that, that was all i did.
I did not try system restore. Should i use it or try a different solutions first?

Edited by atlantica, 26 May 2009 - 10:02 AM.

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
okay, i just rebooted my computer and a message saying:

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.
DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry, but the specified file is not in a registry file format. "

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :angry: :wave: :yes: :) :) :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I used Visual basic and i had bittorrent downloading movies and than i was converting them at the same time.
I changed the theme of my computer using styler.
Other than that, that was all i did.
it sounds like that was enough to hose your account

I did not try system restore.
try restore.... go back about a week before you changed things

if that doesn't get you back to where you were... your going to have to create a new user account

Edited by happyrock, 26 May 2009 - 04:22 PM.

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Before you replied, i did sytem restore, it didn't work. It had a bunch of different times i could change it back to but after it booted back, it would say no changes were made and nothing changed. I created a new account. I am going to transfer the files onto the new account and see if my computer decides to behave, i'll let you know what happens.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I would only do a few things and reboot...see if the icons are there...if they are you can THEN move everything to the new account...

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You definitely have a corrupted user account. If happyrock's method does not work, you can also try booting into a Linux LiveCD or BartPE enviroment to move your files to your new profile once you create it.

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
okay, i created a new account and put everything on the new account that i had before the other account got screwd. One other question though.
I want to delete the old account. If i do so, will i not be able to access everything on my computer? When created the new account, i checked the thingy that gave the account the computer admin. So i should be able still access everything... right? :)

P.s. Thanks everybody!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
once you get all your data moved to the NEW account...(and if the data is real important to you...burned to cd or dvd's)...delete the old account including the files when it asks if you want to remove them...
your new account has copies of them...

atlantica

atlantica

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i did that. I saved the data to my 500GB external hard drive.
Everything is working on my new account. Thank you. :wave: :) :) :) :) :) :angry: :) :yes: :) :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know...