Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help downloading Windows Messenger

• Please log in to reply

sophs

sophs

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I really really hope you can help.

I have a HP Compaq 6720s laptop and have been having some problems downloading programs onto it. (It will become obvious during the course of this message that I have no idea what I'm doing about by the way!!)

When attempting to get McAfee protection I had to online chat with several advisors before having to alter the 'hosts' file and add a new line?!

Basically, that did the trick and I was able to download McAfee however I'm now having the same problem with Windows Live Messenger.

The message is always similar, about refused connection:

Failed to Connect

The connection was refused when attempting to contact g.live.com.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

* Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.

* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.

* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing

I have tried to download it from other sites such as directly from Microsoft and from download.com but always come across the same problem.

If anyone has any idea what I can do to solve this problem I would be so so grateful. Or if you know if theres anyone I can chat to online about it? As I generally need to be talked through it quite slowly!!

Thanks very much in advance,

Sophs x

Advertisements

ajrichwalder

ajrichwalder

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
:) hmmm that is strange I would like to guess your ISP is having troubles but I don't know can you browse websites?