Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE will not connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply

lenonolover

lenonolover

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A couple of days ago, Norton 2009 gave me a notice that it had blocked something (sorry, i didn't catch what), but said my computer was safe. A few minutes later a new notice appeared that said "Norton has found..." some type of exe. file. At that time my computer froze and I had to shut it down. When I came back to it and tried to reboot, Windows would not load. Computer would freeze every time while trying to load Windows. I did a restore to a previous time and now Windows will load and work, but IE will not. I did a restore for IE as well, but it hasn't helped.

When I try to open IE it says it is "connecting" but then will just freeze and will never connect. This problem is occurring on a laptop that is connected by wireless router to my main desktop. The desktop connects to the internet, as well as other laptops on our network. My laptop shows that it is connected, and other programs connect to the internet (such as updates, etc.), but not IE.

I have run Norton in safe mode and didn't find a virus. I cannot run it in regular mode because the restore went back to a time when I was evidently updating virus protection and it is not installed. I have a downloaded version of Norton 2009 and can't access my email in order to reinstall it...

I am running Windows XP. I know you probably need to know more than that, but I'm not sure what so please let me know if you need more information and I'll try to get back with it asap.

Thanks so much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements