Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
anyone with personal experience with any of ASUS P6T series mobo's...
I was going to use the ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 for my new build but after reading the reviews on newegg and elsewhere...they seem to have a very high failure rate...approximately 40 percent if you count all the issues from even those that gave it a average rating...from DOA to ram slots not working...SATA ports not working...sound issues and won't OC at all using windows 7

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No board is 100% perfect.
Boards are mass-produced down to a price rather than up to a standard. In any mass-produced run there will always be a certain level of failure of boards dead out of the box, boards that die in the first year and boards that die ten years down the line. There are always boards that survive everything you throw at them disaster wise (intentionally or otherwise) and those that die at the first upset.

Realistically if you believe the reviews on consumer opinion websites and take them totally at face value, you'd think everything's crap, everything's rubbish and you'd never buy anything. Consumer reviews are biased by people who hate certain brands, people who love certain brands and other people who write total garbage and others who are never pleased.

A lot of people have this notion they can put a computer together which as I'm sure you know, is really easy. Anybody can use a screwdriver, their hands and push a few cables into slots that fit. It's much harder to get it working properly, which is where a lot of people on review sites get upset because if it can't be done in two mouse clicks, it's either broken or "not documented". A common complaint is that sound doesn't work - usually caused by front audio wired up wrongly. USB not working is usually because it's also wired up wrong. SATA ports that don't work probably don't work because they're reserved exclusively for eSata, etc. Overclocking is a fickle area as not all processors overclock to the same degree and it's a pointless complaint area. Many issues can be fixed by upgrading the BIOS. Memory - not all boards like all sticks. If you're going to put "performance" memory into a budget board, it's hardly surprising it probably doesn't work.

I'd bear in mind what the reviews say, but if the board looks right to you, buy it and you'll probably find half the issues being flagged up by other people you'll never see. A board I used to use has a review on a website stating it didn't have USB 2 ports - considering the board came out five years after USB 2 was ratified, I knew full well it was USB 2 capable but there was an option in the BIOS that by default throttled the ports to USB 1.1 speed. Moral of the story: Don't believe everything you read online.

Edited by Neil Jones, 28 May 2009 - 05:10 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yes...you can weed out some of the reviewers by what they say in their posts as not very knowledgeable...
my concern comes from those that ARE in the business and they too are having almost 50% DOA boards with another 10 or 15 % having some kind of issue...with the RMA cost being borne by the buyer on a already high priced board..if at all possible..I want to avoid the cost and aggravation...
thats why I want input from anyone at this site that has personal first hand knowledge with the board...